She hates the non-hedious hide box?

spalek83

Hello.

I was given a female leopard gecko that was supposedly a year old, from an owner that had grown bored of her. So far I've had her about a year or longer. She is in a Reptile 10gal with heating pad on the bottom (looking to make or buy 2x the size at some point, when I get everything else sorted out). I also have a ceramic heat lamp, that I use during the winter. Where I live can cook a goat on the sidewalk during summer, so the lamp is currently turned off.

I decided to get this cool looking hide box. It's like a solid resin, a Medium sized Zoo-Med ReptiShelter. It's stated as being used to create a "humid microclimate" for shedding and such. This is the second I've bought, as the first was ridiculously small. I got the Zoo-Med New Zealand Sphagnum Moss as well. It's been on the cool and heated side, until I read NO on heated & humid hide box. Since that, and that she isn't shedding I have it empty. She never goes in it, ever. Doesn't even inspect it either, totally unaware. I once put her in it and placed the lid on top, she crawled around for like 30 seconds then came out. Somehow stuffing her in it seemed counter-productive.. All it seems to provide is another vantage point for her to climb up the walls with. It was actually by accident that the cage, box and moss is from the same company.. sorta tripping me out right now... anyway

I've been soaking her in warm water when she needs to shed. She seems to enjoy it, either sitting there with her eyes closed and a smile, or, with the right type of shallow bowl will basically do a 5/10 minute walk in place(looks calm, not like she is really trying to get anywhere). All the skin ends up getting eaten (I assume, otherwise I'm not sure where it goes..). Sometimes I have to spot soak for a foot.

My question is, will she eventually just decide to use it after a month or whatnot? Will she be drawn to it when she needs to shed, if it is moist? More likely it's just not set up right... but how? She does sometimes go under the half log, so she will go under things.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My geckos seem to be creatures of habit, though sometimes they change their habits. Many geckos shed just fine without going into the humid hide. Just leave it there and she may notice it some day and then you'll be frustrated that she never comes out of it.

ALiza

courtnashe

I lovez me my animals
I keep my hide box under my 60watt heat lamp. My female is used to her box, so she loves it, also if you breed your female, trust me you want it warm, so when she lays the eggs will be humid and warm. Keep putting her in it, let her get used to it. I had to repeatedly keep putting my little baby into her hide box, after the second try she gets in it on her own. Try prodding her gently through the entrance of the box, so she knows it is safe to go in it and this is where the entrance is, putting her in it really does not show her that it is safe for her to enter it on her own. I hope this helps.

Visit our friends