Should I go back to a different vet? (Paranoid about mouth leopard gecko)

jadavtc

Hello! My leopard gecko, Spyro, is around 2 or 3 years old. In march I noticed something that seemed like a small injury on his lip, so I went to the vet because I was worried about mouth rot. (First picture). The vet cleaned it and said, it wasn't any mouth rot, and he seemed very healthy. If it got worse, I could come back, but I shouldn't worry. Now, months later. It's still there. But it hasn't gotten any worse, I think. Maybe the color changed a bit. (2nd pic). I'm not sure what to do? Could it be a poorly healing injury? Or a scar? I'm not sure what scars look like in geckos. Or should I go back to that vet or to a different one? I'm conflicted. He still acts the same as when I got him, no behavioural changes, no difficulties with eating, no weight loss.. I have a shadedweller and a DHP, with a temp range between 21 and 32C. Moist hide with wet spagnum moss. Eats mainly dubia roaches and meal worms, he is albino and struggles catching moving bugs so I thong feed him, didn't show much interest in small locusts, I alternate between calcium without d3 and vitamin supplement mix.

IMG_20240717_140304.jpg IMG_20240717_140353.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would recommend keeping an eye on him and going back to the vet if it gets crusty or extends. What is he standing on in the bottom picture? It looks like some kind of gravel. I had a gecko with that kind of injury only it was her lower jaw. I took her to the vet and he looked at it awhile and then said he thought is was actually a broken jaw (that can't be true for your gecko because I don't think you can break your upper jaw). It healed on its own. I just wonder if the gecko accidentally ingested some of that substrate and abraded the jaw.

Aliza

jadavtc

Hi, thanks, I am keeping an eye on it. The substrate is leopard gecko bedding from, I think, habitat? I also use pieces of slate so its

I would recommend keeping an eye on him and going back to the vet if it gets crusty or extends. What is he standing on in the bottom picture? It looks like some kind of gravel. I had a gecko with that kind of injury only it was her lower jaw. I took her to the vet and he looked at it awhile and then said he thought is was actually a broken jaw (that can't be true for your gecko because I don't think you can break your upper jaw). It healed on its own. I just wonder if the gecko accidentally ingested some of that substrate and abraded the jaw.

Aliza

Visit our friends