Slate Tile - To Cut Or Not To Cut??

ncbeast

OK, building a new 40 gallon tank and am going to divide it straight down the middle with glass or plexiglass and one side for an adult male Leo and the other side for 2 female Leos or Fat Tails. Going to put a 50-60 Exo Terra Heatwave Desert Vivarium Heater - 11" x 17" UTH right in the middle of the tank which will give each side of the tank at least 5 1/2" X 17" for the hot side. Will also be using a thermostate so it does not get too hot.

I am going to be using a little bit of sand and real 18" X 18" slate tile from Lowe's. Just about an 1/8" of sand under the tile to cushion the tile from the glass and to fill air gaps.

Question is after dividing the tank I will have 17 1/2" X 17 1/2" of floor space on each side and could get the tile cut to that size and use one piece for each side. But with the way natural slate holds and desipates heat with one piece would the cool side of the tank get too warm with the slate being one piece? If so I could get each piece cut again but where? At 5 1/2" where the UTH will stop, 8 3/4" right down the middle?

I just do not know.

Please respond, all input welcomed.

Thanks,
Greg & AJ

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I have never had a solid slate tile for a tank before so I cant really tell you how the heat will dissipate throughout the tank with one tile. It would be easier to clean with on tile but I personally would cut it. Someone else may have more experience than me in this since I have used shelf liner for a long time now. Good luck and post pics when you decide.

monkeytechahoo

We've got slate tiles in our 2 leo tanks and 1 beardie tank. Leo's tanks are 29gal and 55gal and the beardie is in a 75gal with cut tiles to fit.

I can say that with the UTHs and the tile, it's only hot right where the UTH is within the single piece. Once your fingers are not on the UTH spot, it's noticeably cooler, even though it's all a single tile.

Visit our friends