Sliding screen lids

Friedbread

I have a used 20 gallon long that is built to have a sliding lid instead of one that just sits on top. The lid that came with it is very flimsy and old though and I would like to get a new one. I can't seem to find a place to buy JUST the sliding lid without a new tank. I only see non-sliding lids for sale.

1. Any ideas where I could buy a sliding screen lid?
2. Would a non-sliding lid be ok for a tank that was built to have a sliding lid?
3. Would it be smart to repair the lid I have? The frame is ok, but the mesh is flimsy and dirty. I was thinking maybe I would tear out the old mesh and replace it. Ideas?

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
is the lid like a standard window scrreen frame?
i have some cages with sliding lids and they use what looks like standard window screen framing. that said, a home window re-screener should be able to make you a new one for a reasonable price.

good luck!
rob

edit: just reread your post and if the frame is intact, the screen is simple to replace. just be careful removing the rubber strip that holds the screen in place and when you put in the new screen careful that it's not so tight that it deforms the frame. and, o yeah.. leopard geckos can't climb so you don't really need any lid except to keep other pets or children from accessing the leos.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have replaced most of my sliding lids with regular, hinged ones because otherwise when I slide the lid out I can't reach into the tank (most of my tanks are against 3 walls and I'm a short woman). The regular lids go fine over the top of these tanks.

ALiza

Latlaw

All of my tanks have the screen ones with a hinge in the middle so you can easily work in the tank without having to take off the whole screen, move lamps, etc. Very convenient.

Visit our friends