smell in cage?

Desdemona

So, one of my glass cages seems to have a slight plasticy smell to it. It is glass, but the UTH did get really hot last night. I will have to buy a thermostat for it tomorrow since it reached a temp of 107 (it is a big tank, so the gecko could get away from it).

Anyways, would the temp have caused the glue to start to melt? The tank still feels very solid, but I can't think of anything else that could cause the smell. It didn't have that smell before.

Also, more importantly, could that be bad for the gecko? I know melting glue/plastic can give of dangerous fumes.

roger

So, one of my glass cages seems to have a slight plasticy smell to it. It is glass, but the UTH did get really hot last night. I will have to buy a thermostat for it tomorrow since it reached a temp of 107 (it is a big tank, so the gecko could get away from it).

Anyways, would the temp have caused the glue to start to melt? The tank still feels very solid, but I can't think of anything else that could cause the smell. It didn't have that smell before.

Also, more importantly, could that be bad for the gecko? I know melting glue/plastic can give of dangerous fumes.

where are u using glue in your tank ??

Dougefresh

I used a pair of brick pavers under each end of my 10gal to lift it off my table about an inch or so because my table has a vinyl surface and my UTH was getting it to hot and smelled a little! Just a thought :main_thumbsup:

Desdemona

It's your typical wood tank stand, its one of those tank plus stand kits you buy at places like ********. I have two slate tiles I could put under it. I was going to put a cork board under the heat mat but it made the tank really wobbly so I took it out. It really does smell like its coming from inside. The UTH gets way to hot (was 104 last night) so I am going to buy a thermostat for it. I turned it off and left her lid off (which I only do if I'm in the room with the door locked because we have a cat that can open doors) last night and this morning the smell was significantly less. Hopefully I can air it out and a controlled heat will keep it from coming back.

Desdemona

They are all reptile made toys from the petstore.... there is a tree that has plastic fake leaves on it, maybe it is those. I didn't even think of that. The smell reminds me of when my dad would make replications of his scale model parts. Everything else is ceramic or rock. I will have to take the individual items out and see if they are generating the smell.

Dougefresh

yes,yes you need a thermastat or dimmer switch you can purchase at home depot, to regulate the temp, and a digital thermometer, tape the probe or probes if using a thermastat directly to the bottom of the tank over the UTH,

Here a thermastat http://beanfarm.com/index.php?cPath=1238_1239&osCsid=a79e8a5abf431ed739e2e8a4aaa483da

you definitely need to raise your tank right now to let air underneath and let some heat out until you can get a thermastat and if you havent already stuck the UTH to the bottom already you can drop the UTH down some to get some distance away from the bottom of the cage to regulate the heat also!:main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

Desdemona

I did notice some smell coming from the tree, and it is out of the tank. I also bought a rheostat for now, I really just want to buy a more professional UTH. I didn't attach the cheap one I have to the tank for that purpose. It is on a rheostat for now, but I will probably get a better setup once I get paid. At least my poor gecko won't be fumigated with plant fumes this way. Her tank did smell a lot better last night.

Visit our friends