Some more gecko photos....

Scarab

3 Year Member
I just acquired this juvenile Strophurus williamsi at the November 5th Herp Expo at Pasadena, California. I've kept S.ciliaris & S.taenicauda in the past, and REALLY like this genus......(although I can't think of a gecko genus I don't like!!). Although a nocturnal species, he will bask for short periods under a 2.0 UVB exoterra bulb, very cryptic color and posture when he's on his thin twigs - sometimes takes a little while to locate him in his enclosure....
compcroppedSwilliamsi100_2795.jpg
Next up is a pic of my young male Nephrurus wheeleri cinctus: another wonderful aussie species! My guy is rarely observable during the day, but I sometimes see him early in the morning (while it is still dark). A great, non-fussy feeder, I love the unusual habit this species has of covering their back with sand (by "windmilling" their front legs while laying on their belly).
compcroppedNwheeleri102_0143.jpg
Last up is a pic of my juvenile male Eurydactylodes agricolae. I have wanted a member of this genus since I first saw a photo of E.symmetricus in Henkel's 1995 gecko book. Truly a unique gecko among an already unique family! I got him back in late September and he has already noticeably grown on a mixed diet of fruit flies, small roaches, small crickets, and CGD. He also basks for short periods under his 2.0 UVB exoterra bulb, and his colors usually are more pronounced when he does so...
compcrop102_0135.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Beautiful geckos, Scarab! How was that Pasadena show? I'm going to be at the January show in Pomona - you should come out and say Hi! I plan on having "GeckoTalk.com" business cards to give out!

Scarab

3 Year Member
Thanks!! The Pasadena show was smallish, but still had some nice stuff. I'll likely be at the January show in Pomona so hopefully I'll see you....are you going to have a table/booth?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
that second photo... is SO effing cute!!!! Is that a crested? & how are they in temperament/taking care of them?

It's not a crested; I'm guessing knobtail. Not sure how those are to take care of since I've never had one, but I agree they are adorable! Cresties are awesome too though, and super easy to care for.

Jillian1

3 Year Member
It's not a crested; I'm guessing knobtail. Not sure how those are to take care of since I've never had one, but I agree they are adorable! Cresties are awesome too though, and super easy to care for.

Just looked them up, they literally have the cutest faces I've ever seen, but their tails are kinda weird.
By the way your picture is wicked funny. It looks like the crickets hopping on for a ride. haha

Scarab

3 Year Member
Glad you liked the pics Jillian, to answer your fist question - The gecko in the second pic is a "Banded Knobtail Gecko" (Nephrurus wheeleri cinctus), a species that originates from western Australia. I try to use the latin names because common names often vary from place to place (and among different authors) - also I am a Biologist so you could say I am already preconditioned to go with the latin....

Visit our friends