Some substrate questions.

Snowball98

Hello, I've got some substrate questions. My 2 girls are moving from their 20 long to a 55 gallon.
Since they're moving, I want to change substrate. I've been using reptile carpet, but would like to use something easier. Non-adhesive shelf liner is okay right? Will the UTH melt it, and will I need to put sand or paper towels under it if the floor temp gets too hot?
What other easy clean up substrates are there, aside from tile?
Thanks! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would guess that you could use shelf liner as long as you have a thermostat to keep the temperature in the low 90's. I'm still happiest with tile, though I'm experimenting with bio-active substrate for leopard geckos in one of my enclosures (you can see it in the latest Gecko Time article published today).

Aliza

Land Shark

I would guess that you could use shelf liner as long as you have a thermostat to keep the temperature in the low 90's. I'm still happiest with tile, though I'm experimenting with bio-active substrate for leopard geckos in one of my enclosures (you can see it in the latest Gecko Time article published today).

Aliza

Do you mind posting a link?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you mind posting a link?

http://www.geckotime.com/breeding-on-a-small-scale-revisited/

You can see the tank towards the bottom of the article. In the picture, you can see the poop area in the right front corner. the substrate is primarily coco fiber with a relatively small amount of desert sand mixed in and a bunch of leaf litter from a yard near me that uses only organic soil. Since I don't mist (though I occasionally dump the water bowl in there), the soil has become pretty packed down.

Aliza

Visit our friends