Store Gecko Substrate

clemsonguy1125

In my town I have 2 choices over where to buy my gecko. A un-named chain store or a Fish and Reptile store. I immeaditely assumed the reptile store was better. Said chain store has there leopard geckos on reptile carpet with several hides ans was well setup. The reptile store had a smaller tank with several geckos and had calcium sand. I questioned him about the sand and he said in all the geckos he had ever owned all seemed healthy. He said he had heard the myths but thought they were false. I was impressed by his knowledge and his store was impressive. He really seemed to care about the animals. Its a small store and is owned and run by one guy. In your opinion would you trust buying from him. Its my first gecko. And he had a single gecko left. He said he was not eating properly and was hand feeding him. They are getting 6 new lizard in next week. I am thinking about have him save me one separatly from the calcium sand. If I do buy one from the calcium sand will having one on it for 2 or 3 days injure it.

Last edited:

fl_orchidslave

A lot of animals seem healthy when there is a constant turnover.... calci sand is infamous for impaction issues. A fresh moist feeder with calci sand contact will be ingested by a gecko. What's wrong with the one gecko that's left? How long has it been there? Will the new geckos go in the same tank with him next week? Pet shops rarely quarantine new animals, or even sick ones (until it's real bad). Personally I will only buy from breeders direct. Have you looked at the classifieds on this site?

clemsonguy1125

From what he told me it sounds like he is stressed, he hand feeds him and I do not know, hes in the tank but by himself, I plan to get the gecko the day he comes in. As for the breeders on this site. Im not sure about them being shipped. Some breeders sell the geckos for 40 which is reasonable but 50 for shipping. I wouldnt mind picking one up if there are any breeders in NC

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Fact is petstore animals are always an unknown. You have no idea of the genetics of the animal usually, and they have no doubt been exposed to all kinds of potentially dangerous conditions. Calci Sand WILL cause impactions. It is not a myth, it's documented. If fact, Calci sand is MORE likely to cause problems than normal sand, as the calcium encourages geckos to eat it. I wouldn't personally purchase an animal from a store where leopard geckos are being kept on calci sand.

As far as shipping goes, you can't get around shipping costs. Shipping is expensive, there's no way around it. I would advise trying to locate a breeder in your area and purchasing directly from one if you don't want to pay shipping, either that or find a local show and buy there.

And always remember, you get what you pay for.

Visit our friends