Stuck on an island in the middle of Hurricane IDA

ILoveGeckos14

Long story short we were camping at a primitive campsite at Dry Tortugas National Park and we had to move inside Fort Jefferson because of the high winds and rain from Hurricane IDA. It's pretty cool, we are camping on an island founded in the 1500's and now staying in a Fort built in the early 1800's. Abe Lincoln actually sent men here that were convicted of conspiracy to assassinate him.
It was used by the Union Army during The Civil War to block the Confederate Army from shipping routes. It has 400 cannons and the fort was built so that any ship outside the fort can be targeted with 125 of the cannons.They have a building that was meant to heat up two cannon balls connected by a chain so that they were molten hot and fire them at ships in hopes that they hit the mast and set it on fire/brought the ship down. Pretty crazy stuff.
So we are marooned on an island (how many people can say that!?) :main_laugh:

Edit: I am on the park rangers computer that he so kindly let us use in case anyone was wondering how im at a computer.

Last edited:

ILoveGeckos14

They have about 8 campsites here and normally the water is like glass. It is surrounded by amazing coral reefs, you should definitely make time to come out here(when the conditions are better) it's worth it! :)

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
hey good luck tell us how it goes. i was vacationing b4 with a tropical storm over us it was borderline hurricane, it wasnt too fun it ruined many of our plans of going out and stuff. so much was flooded it wasnt funny. lol. i wish i would have gotten pictures though of the flooding it was massive flooding. i just didnt want to look like the weirdo with the camera lol. at least you have been moved to a safer place. sounds like it can be a lil fun when you have nothing really planned to do probably. lol.

Visit our friends