Substrate?..and a few other questions..

CanuckLeo

Hi, I am new to geckos and reptiles in general.I just got a leopard gecko on Monday. I currently have tile as my substrate in my 20 gallon. I was wondering do you think repticarpet would be better than tile ? Also since i have got him he has only eaten one meal worm is this normal ? Also i was wondering should i have a dish with calcium in the tank or is dusting his food enough ? I noticed the warm side of the tank at night drops to around 70 f is this an alright temp or do i need a nightglow light to keep the temp up ? sorry for all the questions :p i appreciate your help.

geckonewbie213

keep the tile, it heats better than the carpet, i use tile in my 20 long and it works perfectly. i would put a dish in there as long as dusting just incase. i have a night lamp just to keept he temp above 70 but i feel like that might be a preference. is your leo eating crickets? or has it just eaten one meal worm and thats it?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hi, I am new to geckos and reptiles in general.I just got a leopard gecko on Monday. I currently have tile as my substrate in my 20 gallon. I was wondering do you think repticarpet would be better than tile ?

I also think tile is better. Geckos can get their nails or teeth caught on the carpet (and it's a pain to clean)

Also since i have got him he has only eaten one meal worm is this normal ?

It's not unusual for a gecko in a new place to take awhile before it starts eating. Be sure that it was fed mealworms before, because it may prefer crickets. Most of the big chain petstores seem to feed mealworms and crickets.

Also i was wondering should i have a dish with calcium in the tank or is dusting his food enough ?

The gecko should be getting calcium, vitamin D3 and other vitamins. Some people leave a dish of calcium (without D3) in the tank. I no longer do that because I'm dusting with Repashy calcium plus which supplies everything.

I noticed the warm side of the tank at night drops to around 70 f is this an alright temp or do i need a nightglow light to keep the temp up ?

If you mean 70f in the air, it's probably fine. If you mean on the floor, it's too low and you need an under tank heater (UTH). You actually don't really need lights at all for a leopard gecko.

Aliza

CanuckLeo

keep the tile, it heats better than the carpet, i use tile in my 20 long and it works perfectly. i would put a dish in there as long as dusting just incase. i have a night lamp just to keept he temp above 70 but i feel like that might be a preference. is your leo eating crickets? or has it just eaten one meal worm and thats it?

Hes eaten a meal worm and thats it. The pet store i got him from told me his staple was meal worms. Today im gonna get some crickets and try them to see if he will eat.

Kotori

He might be suprised by the move; if he isn't eating after about 3 days- 1 week, check out feeder at the top there is a sticky: What to do if your Gecko won't eat.

Crickets would probably work. how big is your gecko?
I find it hard to believe mealies were it's staple; little too fatty. To the point where mine should only eat 3 a week. Staples are eaten about 2 doz a week, so it'd be more of a thin gecko needing fattening staple.

CanuckLeo

He might be suprised by the move; if he isn't eating after about 3 days- 1 week, check out feeder at the top there is a sticky: What to do if your Gecko won't eat.

Crickets would probably work. how big is your gecko?
I find it hard to believe mealies were it's staple; little too fatty. To the point where mine should only eat 3 a week. Staples are eaten about 2 doz a week, so it'd be more of a thin gecko needing fattening staple.

Yea hes fairly skinny like his tail isnt all that fat. The pet store says he is a year old but i was looking at some blizzards at another pet store and they said that they where 3 to 4 months old and the tails where twice as thick as mine. The tails on those were shorter as well though. Id say this guy is like 6 inches long.

Visit our friends