Substrate

S

Sparky99

I have been pondering over this since I got my gecko last May.
He was given to me with sand as the bedding, they said they always had that in there, never any problems.
So I have kept it the same.
I thought if I chagned it to tile or something else, he may not like it.
So far I have not had any problems with the sand, I wonder how thick it should be though, I want to make sure the UTH is getting thru it ok.
Any thoughts or suggestions???
P.s. the sand in there right now is about 2 inches thick.

stephane110

First of all, you should switch to tile or papertowel. If you want to stay with sand, get a digital prope thermometer to read the tempurature on your substrate

bjleemkuil

You should check the droppings and see if they are crystallized. If they are chances are your Leo is ingesting the sand and it's not good for them at all. Can cause impaction over time. Keep an eye on this. I also would suggest switching to a healthier substrate. Though it does look pretty and all, it's not good for your animal. Paper towels are a cheap alternative that work just fine. This could also help you see if the poo is crystallized.

ariana

First of all, you should switch to tile or papertowel.

+1

sand may not have caused problems yet but it might. why take the risk?
and u should have probe thermometer to read the temp anyway, to make sure ur leos getting enough belly heat

chechatonga

I would recommend you change to a substrate that can not be consumed by your gecko. Leos can be on sand for years with no problems, but they can accidently ingest sand when they strike at food(or they might just lick it like its food like my gecko does :() and this can cause them to become impacted. You can easily prevent impaction by removing sand and using paper towels, ceramic tiles over thin layer of sand, repti-carpet, etc.

Visit our friends