Super worms?

ashley_nicole

I have a female Leo and had a question. She eats mealies and crickets regularly but I've recently been told that I could try super worms as a treat almost. Now I'm a bit hesitant due to the fact that I've heard bad things about them but wanted to know for sure, so what is everyone's preference on super worms.

Also I've been told to try Dubia roaches, that they love them! Personal opinions on them? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421203890.393601.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I used to feed superworms all the time, and my geckos loved them. =) There is nothing wrong with feeding them as long as they are properly gutloaded and dusted. Your girl certainly seems large enough to handle them. I don't feed them a lot anymore since I breed mealies. I also feed crickets (especially to one of my geckos, who will only eat dubias and crickets)

Variety is key. The more variety you can provide, the healthier the gecko.

Dubia roaches are awesome. I've been wanting to switch to those for a while, but I haven't gotten around to getting a colony started. They're a bit pricier than crickets or mealies, but it's usually not much if you're just feeding one gecko. These are really good for the gecko and don't make noise or get out like crickets.

lisa127

I order large quantities of superworms from Mulberry Farms. I feed them to my leo's. Since I have so many supers, there are always a few white ones that have molted and I feed them those. They are softer and not as aggressive when they are in the white stage.

cowana

I've never tried Supers so I'm glad you asked about them! I needed the info as well! Thanks! I did have a few follow up questions though.
Around how big should your Leo be before you start offering them Superworms? I've been considering it with my 3 and I think they're big enough but I don't want to risk giving them something to big for them and possibly choking. Do you gut load them the same way you would mealworms?

As far as Dubias they are really healthy for Leos, not noisy or smelly, and they do love them! Lots of upsides to them if the fact they are roaches doesn't bother you. :) My only problem was it caused fighting between my two. :-( They lost their little gecko minds over them. I had to catch all the roaches in the cage, put the geckos in separate areas of the tank and tong feed the remaining ones to them. It was an ordeal. :-(

Neon Aurora

The gecko should probably be full grown. Super are very large. You can gutload the same as with mealies, but don't refrigerate supers. The molted ones are better to feed, but I've never had a problem with shelled ones either.

Visit our friends