Tank Size Okay? Can I Make My Hide Out of This?

TattooAngel

So, as I've mentioned before, I may be getting a leopard gecko in a month or two. I have two questions though.

The first is, my boyfriend is buying a new tank for his snake. His old cornsnake tank is a 30 gallon tank. I'm probably going to be getting a juvenille. Is it okay for a juvenille to live in a 30 gallon tank or is that too big for them?

Secondly, I am planning on making a hide out of clay for my leopard gecko. It's the type of clay that people use to make pottery with. I can fire it in a kiln if I wanted to, but I was wondering if I could keep it unfired and use it as a humid hide. I'd let the clay dry completely before I start using it as a humid hide. The reason why I thought this might be a neat idea is because clay generally holds moisture well and it's also kind of rough when dryed so the gecko has something to rub on to start him on taking his shed off. I was just wanting your thoughts on this. What do you think? I can always get it fired.

roger

So, as I've mentioned before, I may be getting a leopard gecko in a month or two. I have two questions though.

The first is, my boyfriend is buying a new tank for his snake. His old cornsnake tank is a 30 gallon tank. I'm probably going to be getting a juvenille. Is it okay for a juvenille to live in a 30 gallon tank or is that too big for them?

Secondly, I am planning on making a hide out of clay for my leopard gecko. It's the type of clay that people use to make pottery with. I can fire it in a kiln if I wanted to, but I was wondering if I could keep it unfired and use it as a humid hide. I'd let the clay dry completely before I start using it as a humid hide. The reason why I thought this might be a neat idea is because clay generally holds moisture well and it's also kind of rough when dryed so the gecko has something to rub on to start him on taking his shed off. I was just wanting your thoughts on this. What do you think? I can always get it fired.

Imo a 30 gallon is way too bi for a juvenile.Leos dont care for large tanks as this makes them feel insecure.. 10 gallons would be good.a juvenile would have difficulty finding or have the patience to hunt down food.I use a clay upside down pot saucer so that shouldnt be a big deal

snakegirl

i would make sure the clay is at a dry,baked,safe state, if there is anyway it can fall,crumble,or melt apart then do not use it always make sure everything is None toxic, as for caging 30 gallon tank is Huge for a leopard gecko, since all they need is a 10 Gallon, you "Could" use it and add many,many,many hides,plants, and more hides. but you risk just stressing it out to much, try selling the 30 gallon, with the money you can buy another tank 10 gallons are only like $13 bucks.

Visit our friends