tank size

earls413

I was told at a petstore that an adult gecko could live in a 10 gallon aquarium comfortably for its whole life. As a general rule I don't usually trust pet stores due to expansive vet bills due to wrong information. What do you guys think.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A 10 gallon is generally considered to be OK for a single adult leopard gecko, though many people prefer to use something bigger like a 15 or 20 gallon long.

Aliza

earls413

thanxs he currently in a 10 gallon, my turtles are in a 29L. I'm donating my turtles Monday and thought about moving him to there tank or maybe just selling the tank.

little98dime

put yourself in the leo's skin.... if you had the choice of living in a small closet or living in a normal house,... which would you choose? Leos dont mind 10 gallons, but LOVE the extra exploring space. And with slate tile so cheap....why not go bigger anyway?

slayer

While a ten gal. is OK for a single leo, you can never go wrong by providing the largest enclosure you can.
My pair uses every single square inch of their 33 gal. (48"x13"x13")
000_0012-1.jpg

000_0006-2.jpg

earls413

We've decided to put him in our 29L bought him a hamock today for extra fun. Question though we've always used repti-carpet but I hear of alot of people using slate tiles is that for better heat transfer or cleanliness?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Definitely better on the cleanliness and the geckos' toes won't get caught on the tiles. Tiles are fine for heat transfer; I can't compare to repti-carpet.

Aliza

little98dime

Tiles not so much transfer heat better, but distribute and hold heat better. People (such as myself) put a 1/4" layer of fine play sand under the tiles to help with heat transfer. The sane fills in the air gaps inherent when using slate tiles since they are naturally uneven.

JonJon

I got two free 55 gal tanks yesterday from a friend.
Ones going to my leo & one is going to be the starter tank for my uromastyx.
My leo is in a 29 gal tank right now.

I think all because it can survive in it dosen't mean it's happy. If I was trapped in a little cage all the time I'd be pissed!

Visit our friends