Temperature?

GothicGurrrl

okay im confused about the temperature the tank should be at.
My friend is saying its too hot.. I have it on 33.6 celsius .. and she's saying it should be at like 20 celsius?

what should I do? I was told it has to be 90-95F .. which is the same as 30-35 C??

Skydiver Keith

okay im confused about the temperature the tank should be at.
My friend is saying its too hot.. I have it on 33.6 celsius .. and she's saying it should be at like 20 celsius?

what should I do? I was told it has to be 90-95F .. which is the same as 30-35 C??

You're doing great, except for taking bad advice too seriously...

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
her temp is way wrong for a leopard gecko. A crestie however at 85F would likely die. A leo however should have an optimum range of between 93-95 imo. Ask your friend if she's ever seen an 80 Degree F desert. Logic should dictate here the friend is wrong. You're doing fine.

Skydiver Keith

So thats okay? My tank atm is 34.1/2C . and cool side is about 27.3C

soo her temp is wrong??

Well, 20c may be okay for the cold side, although I doubt the gecko would appreciate it or go to that side of the tank often. Your tank temps are fine. There's no magic number. The leo will tell you what he wants. If it spends all its time on the cold side, then its too hot. If it spends all its time on the hot side, then its too cold.

You may be making this more complicated than it actualy is. Just use common sense and you'll be okay.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I keep my leo consistantly at the same temps on the hot side. Only difference is at night when the air temps go lower but at that his tank never goes below 88 F. If it gets up to 98 F I dial the heat down.

Skydiver Keith

I keep my leo consistantly at the same temps on the hot side. Only difference is at night when the air temps go lower but at that his tank never goes below 88 F. If it gets up to 98 F I dial the heat down.

+1
My tank never gets below 80. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt the Leo even if the cold side was 40f. He just wouldn't use that side and it would be a waste!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Make sure you have the probe on the hot side directly over the hottest part of the floor even if the hot den is in a bit of a different place. It may take a good hour for you to get a true reading after placing the probes so don't take the first thing you see as gospel. Make sure you get several readings over the first couple of hours to make sure there is no temperature flux in your heat mats performance.

Visit our friends