Terrible week, HELP!

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I managed to steal an internet off of my friends computer. Since we currently haven't any form of internet at my home right now.

And it could not have happened at a worse time. My male is sick! Really bad and we can't afford a vet... :( I kept checking on him and was suprised to find blood in his stool! I don't know what to do i checked on him the other day and there is somethig hanging out of his vent. I'm afraid that it is an organ... i am very upset and am angry that we can't afford a vet... :worried2:

I can tell he is in pain too, he doesn't move around alot and... its just bad. I think i am going to have to put him down... this sucks. All i need to know is how long to put him in the fridge and then into the freezer... i can't believe i'm asking this...:bigcry:

Please help me.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I'm so sorry to hear! Can you post a photo? Maybe we can help you if we get a look at the problem. He may have prolapsed his bowel. If it's still pink/red and the swelling isn't bad, you may be able to save him. Keep him on clean paper towels, and give him a sugar water soak for now.

If you TRUELY don't feel you can save him and you plan to put him down, I have a quick question....do you or your buddy play paintball? If you have a CO2 tank, you can easily use it to put him down that way. Small amounts of CO2 will act as an anesthetic and make him drowsy, large amounts (so long as you have done a small amount first) will be a painless way to put him down.

Otherwise, I don't know that there is a set time limit, but 3 hours or so in the fridge and then in the freezer overnight is what I've done.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I can't post pictures because i do not have a digital camera, and i fear that if i wait until i can borrow one it will be too late...:main_no:

I will try the sugar soak and hopefully that helps... if not... i don't even want to think about that...

Thank you for your help shanti. It means alot.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
It does sound like a prolapse, the sugar water will help keep it from drying out and it may take a couple of days for it to go back in so hang in there and hope for the best.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Use the sugar water soaks, and keep the area moist. The sugar in the water will draw out moisture and reduce the swelling, making it possible for it to go back into place. I've also heard of using Preperation H. If it's his bowel (it will be somewhat like a reddish doughnut), you can try to gently re-insert it using a Q-tip with KY Jelly (or other water-based lubricants) after you've reduced any swelling. I would see if it would go back on it's own first ... doing this part wrong could hurt him, but it may be your last chance. Even if it goes back, you have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get infected, or for it to re-prolapse.

For now, I wouldn't feed him...only give him water. Having to poo will only aggrivate the condition. If you manage to get it back into place and he's feeling better in a few days, I would start him off with small amounts of very soft, easy to digest items...like Marcia's slurry, silkworms, freshly molted crickets. So long at he's got a good fat reserve, he can go without food for some time. You want his body to heal before you add the stresses of digestion again.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I agree... it sounds like a prolapsed cloaca. Warm sugar-water soaks can help, or some Preparation H (the aloe vera kind). Give him a few days on a paper towel substrate and these treatments before euthanizing him.

D

Dottie

Hopefully you were able to pull your guy through! I had a long visit with the vet today, which will be in another post, and asked about the fridge/freezer method of putting them down. It is not recommended and could be quite painful for them.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Sadly i did not have an internet readily available to keep updates with you guys. I sadly had to put him down... i used the freeze method, whether or not that was painless i cannot say, either way he is out of his misery.

I tried the sugar soaks often over a span of a few days, but i think he was too far gone. Lethargy and pain were all i could make out...

Rest in peace friend...

Visit our friends