"Thermoregulatory temperature"

Remy

So... I'm a little confused. I'm still new to the leopard gecko scene so I've been doing some research.

Having looked through the forums, explored threads and done google searches, it seems that most would say the idea temperature in the hot zone should be 95F.

Through my research I was also directed to a book called "The Herpetoculture of Leopard Geckos" by Philippe de Vosjoli, Ron Tremper and Roger Klingenberg, DVM. From what I understand, it's pretty much the bible of leopard gecko care, the ultimate care sheet. Granted, it is 5 years old.

Point is, in this book they state in the husbandry section:

"The ideal surface temperature for leopard geckos to thermoregulate is 86-90F (30-32C) with a background room temperature of 74-78F (23.5-25.5C). Temperatures over 91F (33C) should be avoided.

Comments?

roger

So... I'm a little confused. I'm still new to the leopard gecko scene so I've been doing some research.

Having looked through the forums, explored threads and done google searches, it seems that most would say the idea temperature in the hot zone should be 95F.

Through my research I was also directed to a book called "The Herpetoculture of Leopard Geckos" by Philippe de Vosjoli, Ron Tremper and Roger Klingenberg, DVM. From what I understand, it's pretty much the bible of leopard gecko care, the ultimate care sheet. Granted, it is 5 years old.

Point is, in this book they state in the husbandry section:

"The ideal surface temperature for leopard geckos to thermoregulate is 86-90F (30-32C) with a background room temperature of 74-78F (23.5-25.5C). Temperatures over 91F (33C) should be avoided.

Comments?

Although his book is informative everyones setup is different.Its been my experience that people on this forum keep their animals at 95 degrees.Does he say why over 91 degrees should be avoided.I have had leos for 25 yrs at 95 with no ill affects

robin

first off all i would not consider that book the leopard gecko bible. you can get better info from some of the more experienced breeders on this site than what is in that book. this is my opinion about the book

however geckos being cold blooded need heat and they need a heat gradient to thermoregulate thermoregulation helps in many ways but the main ways is it aids in digestion and allows the animal to keep its body temperature within the "correct" range. i personally like a range from 92 warm side to about 75 cool side

RampantReptiles

I aim for 90 with mine but dont get upset if it is upwards near 95. I think you need to avoid over 100. I also think that 85 is too cool but honestly these creatures are pretty adaptable and as long as they are eating and pooping in a healthy way then keep them at whatever temp works for you.

Remy

There is no mention as to why 91F+ should be avoided.
Touché

Leopard geckos are pretty adaptable anyway, which is why they are fairly easy to keep.

My temps are 91 on the warm side and 75 on the cool side.
She never goes to the cool side, she'll stay in her warm hide or the moist hide that is in the middle.

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I keep mine warm, typically 95-97 on the hot side, and I have seen fluctuations up to 100 for a short time that didn't cause any harm. My geckos are healthy and active, they don't spend all their time in the warm hide like geckos kept at cooler temps tend to do.

roger

I keep mine warm, typically 95-97 on the hot side, and I have seen fluctuations up to 100 for a short time that didn't cause any harm. My geckos are healthy and active, they don't spend all their time in the warm hide like geckos kept at cooler temps tend to do.

whatever works for different people.The amin thing is as long as they are eating and defecating well thats all that counts.experiment with temps and find what works for u

Visit our friends