Thermostats

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
What do you mean by digital thermostat? If you are talking about a household thermostat they usually are not capable of running at the high temps reptiles require.

sammer021486

another thing to add to Tony's response is that a household thermostat is normally ran off of a different voltage, like 24V, compared to 120V from our wall outlets.

If you are looking for digital, the only ones that I know of are the Ranco, Johnson, Helix, and Herpstat.

softballstud_1099

ok thats why I was asking, I am not very good at electrical stuff so I thought I would ask. What about if I used a house hold thermostat to control temps in a homemade Leo incubator? Again guys thank you for your comments.

Brent

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
That may work, depending on the accuracy of the thermostat. Honestly though, you are better off buying a tried and true thermostat like a Ranco or Johnson, the cost is comparable to a decent quality home unit and you can order them ready to use, which is probably best if you are not electrically savvy.

sammer021486

ok thats why I was asking, I am not very good at electrical stuff so I thought I would ask. What about if I used a house hold thermostat to control temps in a homemade Leo incubator? Again guys thank you for your comments.

Brent

I would go with a helix or herpstat for a home made incubator. Had my car not just died I would have been purchasing a herpstat for my Hova.

softballstud_1099

Ok another guestion. I want to build an incubator out of a styrofoam container. I want to use a zoo med uth as the heat sorce. How do I control the heat of the zoo med uth?

Brent

sammer021486

Thanks guys for your input. I guess after looking at it I will get a johnson. thanks again

Brent

Both the Ranco and Johnson are good thermostats for controlling the temps in a leos cage. Just remember that they are ON/OFF thermostats

Ok another guestion. I want to build an incubator out of a styrofoam container. I want to use a zoo med uth as the heat sorce. How do I control the heat of the zoo med uth?

Brent

You could use an ON/OFF like the Ranco or Johnson. Or for more precise control over the heating, you could use a helix or herp stat. I am currently testing a Zoo Med 500R thermostat in one of my home made incubators and it is holding the temps very steady, so steady I am really surprised. As I posted earlier in this thread I would personally get a proportional thermostat to use in an incubator, it helps keep the temp steady and stable. Unless there is external environmental influence, like the room temp where the incubator is being kept changes by a few degrees.

Visit our friends