Thinking About Getting a Pair

AMetallica

Right now, I'm thinking about getting a pair of adult Leos. Would a 20-25gal be good? Also, I've seen some pretty intricate housing designs. When I set up the new enclosure, is there anything I should keep in mind? IE: platforms leading to higher levels of the tank more than 2 hides/shelters?/dens, etc.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A 20 gallon long (30"x12") is good for a pair. If you get the pair from the same place, they can be put together immediately. If you get them from separate places, they need to be quarantined from each other for at least a month. There's always the chance that they won't get along, so you have to be prepared to house them separately indefinitely if it comes to that (I house mine in small groups and have generally never had problems, but there are others who feel strongly that the only reasonable way to house leos is separately). If you get a male and a female, there are other issues to deal with. Obviously you won't be getting 2 males to house together because that won't work.
Other considerations: provide several choice of hides. If you build a second level, some people make ramps that go up, but I find that the humid hide/lay box in my enclosures is easily used as a step-stool to climb up to the second level.

Aliza

AMetallica

I'm getting them both from Geckos Etc., but I think I'm just going to get 2 females instead. Since the tank is more tall than it is wide in comparison to my current 10gal, I think it would be best to make it have two levels. I'll think of something nice that puts the geckos in the least danger. Thanks for the response ;) .
-AM

Visit our friends