Thoughts on DIY Rack

cowana

So, I have seen this rack pop up a few times while researching DIY racks and wanted to get some thoughts on it. Here is a picture of the basic frame, tub, and frame and tubs that are from IKEA. I wouldn't use the casters.

1ad4457264e96d6d795732641cad23b4.jpg

04184e0c84b5784ead6b5bd8a36ac02c.jpg

0a81307176ced0b0c79d35556222aa9a.jpg

The tubs are 21 5/8" x 16 1/2" x 6 1/4" (approx 28qts/7gals) in dimension so would give the gecko a lot of floor space.

I can't find how the heating has been done anywhere, so I was thinking I could put a sheet of plexiglass over the area where the tubs slide in, solder holes around the edge and zip tie it on. And use this to put a strip of heat tape to provide belly heat. It would also close the gap between the tubs but allows the tubs to still be pulled out. I wouldn't use the metal lid so I'd have to put a piece over the top tub to close it, and one under the bottom tub for heat tape. Of course I would provide plenty of aeration holes in the tub for air exchange and to allow ambient light to stream in.

The frame is $10 and each tube is $8. Not sure how much the plexiglass and heat tape would run for this particular project, but this would be a pretty reasonable rack if doable.

What do you all think? Plausible and worth a shot? I have found a few snake people who have one/used one. But the heating is what is tripping me up. Not sure how to do it.

cowana

Hmm, could work? I personally don't like the idea of opaque tubs though (if they are indeed opaque... difficult to tell from the picture).

I do believe the tubs are a solid white color. I haven't seen them in person and didn't say in description, for sure. I'm not a fan of using anything other than clear myself. It is harder to provide an appropriate day/night cycle with anything else.

I had though about trying to see if there was another 28qt tub with the right width dimensions that would fit. Since the tubs slide into a small space not sure, but may be possible.

It also has wire baskets as an option. I also thought about putting clear tubs inside the wire baskets. I think that may make heating more difficult though with an object between the heat tape and tub.

I have the same system with wire baskets to keep miscellaneous items in my house. Just discovered the solid tubs and people using it as a rack. I can do some measuring and see if there are any tubs that will work with either option without losing too much space and can do some experimenting. I like the ease of building a rack like this, they are stackable and low cost. But wouldn't be willing to sacrifice gecko healthy or safety for it.

JoulesBurn

That's a lot of modding to get it up to snuff to be able to be heated. I just did one of the DIY home depot shelf racks and it was supremely easy and can hold two 28 quarts per shelf (that's what everyone says, I put two 34 quarts per shelf myself). It's 50 bucks for one that can hold 8-10 bins. The heat tape for it just cost me about 40 and that was with getting a plug for each individual shelf so I can unplug them when not in use and using 6 inch tape.

Most people get two to make it a 16 tub rack so that'd be about double the cost. I might add to mine later, but it became a convenient table for one of my 20 long terrariums.

Definitely price your options out, but if this works for you and you want to try to mod it, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Visit our friends