Tile with sand?

shoei1

So I have read a lot of info on here about substrates. But still couldn't really find this answer.

I currently have a sand rock mix because I didn't know about the sand danger. So now I have decided with all the info I have read here I went and picked up slate.

My question what would be better or maybe someone may have a better idea.

1) lay thin layer of sand down then place slate on top with the uth on the glass out side the tank.

2) lay thin layer of sand down the uth and then the slate on top.

3) just late the slate down onto tank.

GothicGurrrl

I have a thin layer of sand under my tiles. I did this because sand will fill any little cracks and space between the pieces of tile... this stops my gecko getting it's feet and toes hurt if they get stuck in any little gaps between the pieces of tile.

shoei1

Gothicgurrrl that's what I was thinking too. But also for keeping crickets out the cracks. Also will help conduct heat to the slate tiles sense the tiles aren't exactly flat.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Sand is not really an excellent conductor of heat.. the difference is the heat is dispersing thru the many gaps in the sand's air pockets versus the heat is dispursing thru the larger air gap under the uneven slate tiles. It's kind of lose lose either way imo. If the substrait is going to be an inch or thicker you'll likely need to bump up to the next wattage uth on the outside bottom of the tank. Putting the uth on the glass side of the tank will not provide the belly heat your leo needs. Using slate and sand will dispurse the heat thru a greater surface area than say if you went with vinyl simulated slate tiles which let the heat thru in the area the uth is located rather than dispursing it thru out the entire rock surface (just the nature of rock... it will distribute heat rather than make a hot "spot"). So I guess inthe long run, either way, you're likely going to have to move up to the next sized uth. There are several conversations in my past threads that address thisvery issue if you're interested in going thru them. Go into my profile then click on statistics, there's several conversations with NCBeast and a couple other people regarding substrait of this type. personally I went with the high end vinyl simulated slate because it's self adhesive, nothing can get under it or between the butted cracks where they join, it's thin (around a half or less inch between the glass and the tiles), and super easy to clean plus heating is never an issue, and before you ask, no there are no off gasses when using high end vinyl tiles. Hope some of this helps.

Visit our friends