Tips for feeding anorexic gecko

jo57

I have a younger lizard that I purchased 2 months ago at a show. I brought him home and instantly had issues with him not eating. I was informed that most of my issues were due to my set up for him. I moved him to a 20 gallon tank. He is on a tile that takes up half of the tank with a UTH hooked up to a thermostat. He has a warm hide and a humid hide on that side. The temperature of the tile read with a laser thermometer is 95. He has a 2 hides on the cold side that stay around 75. He is on top of the shelf unit that holds a couple other reptiles so their lights will not bother him. The only light is the little sun that comes through the basement window and the room light that I turn off at 8PM and never turn on at night. He will not eat. I was ready to give up on him thinking he was going to die but I can't. I have tried leaving small crickets in with him overnight (I know this shouldn't be done) and the next day none had been eaten. I got a dish and would put meal worms in it and leave them there for days. He would not eat a single one. I was tempted to try giving him some wax worms but didn't want to open that can of worms (no pun intended). He stays in his hides mostly and I never see him out. Last night I was feeding the snake under him (I feed my nocturnal animals at night) and I saw him run into one of his hides. I couldn't believe he was out. I dropped 2 meal worms near the entrance of the hide that he ran into. I came back with a small flashlight and saw the worms were gone :). I went and got two more and dropped them in at the same place. I came back later and one was gone (I don't know if the other was hiding somewhere). I am going to try this again tonight, but was wondering if any of you have come across a lizard that just doesn't want to eat. His tail is skinny and he needs to put some weight on. Also to add., I have not bothered him for a month. I have opened his cage once to clean it but I left the hide he was in alone so he shouldn't be stressed about anything. He is also on the top shelf so he isn't stressed by my kids running around the room during the day.

lapierresam

I had this issue with one of mine, what I found worked best was to leave some mealies in with him over night. I had a gecko that had not eaten in a week empty a whole dish in a night. I've switched a lot of my juvies to this and it's been great success!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I second the slurry. It may boost his appetite and get him eating again.

A picture would be helpful.

How was this gecko's weight at the time of purchase?

jo57

I will upload a couple of pictures tomorrow. When I got him at the show he was one of 30-40 baby geckos that were in Tupperware small enough they couldn't even stand up. I didn't ask to see him out of the Tupperware (hindsight is 20/20). He hasn't gotten any bigger in the 2 months that I've had him. His tail has shrunk significantly. Looking at the slurry recipe, do you know if any chain or Mom and Pop stores might carry the ingredients they say you have too get at the vet?

Neon Aurora

He looks very sick. There is a decent chance he might have crypto, especially since he dropped all of the weight he had in just 2 months. What have his poops looked like (if he has had any)? If you want to have a chance of saving him, you'll need to go to a vet. If you can't, he honestly probably won't make it. That gecko looks very close to death.

I don't think you can get Carnivore Care or Hill's at anywhere except the vet.

jo57

Just wanted to update this thread. the lizard passed a couple of days after posting this. I tried to make him as comfortable as possible for his last few days and buried him in a nice spot near the garden. For Father's Day I was given a gift card to a big chain pet store. I bought a new baby and he is doing great. He is eating everyday and is growing. He has a little bit of an attitude problem sometimes when I'm trying to handle him. He is the first gecko since my tokays that will verbally let me know I am pissing him off. Other than that is is settling well in the (cleaned) Leo.jpg Leo.2.jpg home I made for my first one.

Visit our friends