Tips on caging

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
Hey i have a 25 gal. tank with one gecko i might be getting a new one but i dont know if im doin my cage right any help?:main_huh:

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
oh btw i have a type of sand in my cage that has calcium enrichedness or something just in case she accidentally eats some o_O

reptile65

Future DVM
I wouldn't recommend using sand in your tank. Paper towel is much safer because there's less risk of impaction. If you don't like the look of paper towels, ceramic tile is another great option.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Wood chips is not a good idea. First, crickets or mealworms can get lost in them, die and stink. Second, the gecko can still ingest them. A few months ago I took care of 2 leopard geckos for someone who had to leave town for a few weeks. She was devastated because the day before, one had dropped her tail the day before and she didn't know why. The next day I found out because she pooped out a few wood chips. I suspect that she had so much pain in her lower area from the wood chips passing through her that she either bit off or dropped her tail.

I also vote for ceramic tile. If you decide to get another gecko, remember that it needs to be quarantined from your current one in a different tank for at least a month.

Aliza

little98dime

slate or ceramic tile is your best option. if you decide to use them, you can lay a thin (1/8" to 1/4") layer of PLAY SAND under the tiles to help transfer heat from the UTH. I use slate tiles with sand under them in all my leo tanks. easy to clean, looks great and zero impaction risk.

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
alright i got tiles thanks guy the pet s mart guy kept like begging me to get either sand ow wood chips not listening to them anymore

ez2animate

alright i got tiles thanks guy the pet s mart guy kept like begging me to get either sand ow wood chips not listening to them anymore

That is your first step to being an experienced Leopard Gecko owner. Generally 99% of the people who work at those kind of Pet stores have no knowledge of the animal your buying, unless it's common knowledge. I read on this forum that someone asked someone from one of those pet stores what Leopard Gecko's ate, and she said vegetables and fruits. Don't ever trust them.

But I have a question, how old/big is your Leo? Is it an adult or baby?

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
That is your first step to being an experienced Leopard Gecko owner. Generally 99% of the people who work at those kind of Pet stores have no knowledge of the animal your buying, unless it's common knowledge. I read on this forum that someone asked someone from one of those pet stores what Leopard Gecko's ate, and she said vegetables and fruits. Don't ever trust them.

But I have a question, how old/big is your Leo? Is it an adult or baby?

my gecko is about 6 in shes a normal high yellow and gonna turn 5 years old December 21st got her when she was only 2 inches long... how she has grown :)

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
ok tell me if im doing this right i got saw dust put it in there, just a small layer so it can transfer heat, then put the tiles on it then everything else in her cage like water bowl den etc.

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
i think sawdust is worse than sand....use playsand. sawdust can have particles and whatnot and your leopard gecko could get a respiratory infection. plus certain woods are toxic to certain reptiles.

although...i would just go with reptile carpet. thats what i use. its easier.

Last edited:

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
i think sawdust is worse than sand....use playsand. sawdust can have particles and whatnot and your leopard gecko could get a respiratory infection. plus certain woods are toxic to certain reptiles.

although...i would just go with reptile carpet. thats what i use. its easier.

i put tiles on top of it is that right?

Visit our friends