Trouble Managing My Mealworm Colony

Neon Aurora

So I finally have a good Mealworm colony going, but I'm starting to have issues managing it that I'm having trouble finding solutions for.

First: I have too many beetles. They just keep growing exponentially. I have two bins of beetles now that I rotate every two weeks into new substrate. Consequently, I'm getting huge amounts of egg-laden substrate building up and I'm running out of space for it.
What kind of animals can eat the beetles? I would like to be able to feed them to things when I start to get too many. I don't have infinite space.

Second: Filtering. Filtering worms out is easy. But I haven't found a good way to filter the pupae or beetles out. As my colony grows, it's becoming too time consuming to pick out all the pupae from the worm bins and all the beetles from the pupae bin. I've tried strainers of varying sizes, but the size that pupae can fit through, worms can also fit through. Same with pupae and beetles. And substrate.

Any tips on managing worm colonies would be appreciated. I've read plenty of articles, but I never seem to find answers that work for these questions.

crazylizardlady

I would love to hear if someone has found a better way of filtering out pupae or beetles from pupae, that takes more time than feeding and cleaning up after all my geckos. One thing that I did that really helped cut down on the amount of egg laden substrate I had sitting around was make a self sifting bin for my beetles. I took two containers of the same size I think mine are the 15qt ones, cut the bottom out of one and glued down some screen on the bottom. The eggs, baby worms, and frass fall through to the bottom container and I just move them out when I start seeing a lot of worms. The only issue Ive seen doing it this way is sometimes the bottom bin will get a little moldy but Ive found if I just give the oats in there a quick turn with my hand everyday or two it prevents the moisture build up for the most part.

strhunter2

i switched from wheat bran and oats (i tried both) to corn meal which allows me to use different size craft mesh to sort the worms from the aliens and beetles and the bigger worms from the smaller worms and bedding, and then for my beetles i have a rack i made and i have 1 bin of beetles with a mesh floor so most of the eggs will drop into another bin below that i rotate every 4 ish weeks

i can take some pictures when i get a chance to give you a visual

Last edited:

Neon Aurora

I see. I was always under the impression that the eggs would stick to the substrate. But if they fall through, than I can just make a screen bottom bin for the beetles.

Thanks for the suggestion. =)

Visit our friends