Unusual size tank lids

Desdemona

So, I have a 36 Gal corner tank that I want to put my two new girls in, when they come. There is a cat in the house, so a lid is a must. Is there a easy way to make your own lid? Or, is there a company that will special order without charging a arm and a leg.

Any tips would be appreciated! I do have a 20 Gal I can put them in temporarily if I don't have a lid in time (mail order) but I'd rather just put them in the big tank.

Reptarissorad

I bought a homemade tank from a thrift shop. They used plastic, looks like from a window or something? with chickenwire for the top, I just set the light on top of the wire and it works good.

DragonBeards

Obsessed by reptiles...
If you know anyone handy with wood, it wouldn't be too hard to make one. My dad made a top for my 20g tank (we have cats as well, 5 of them), and it fits nice and snuggly inside the rim. Just need a few scraps of wood and some screening (got ours dirt cheap at Walmart).

Joao

v Snowflake v
If you aren't putting any lights on it , you could go with "eggcrate" or acrylic sheets. Both can be found at homedepot. The eggcrate is plastic ceiling light covers. I think they call it "light difuser". Both can be easily cut to fit on the inside lip of the upper aquarium trim.

If you want metal and don't want it to look horrible, you could get metal strips with 90 degree angles, mesh wire and some JB Weld. Cut and assemble. Homedepot or lowes should have all this as well.

I'm sure there are less involved ways of doing it, but they won't be as clean looking.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Check out Tera-tops (do some googling for best spelling for website). They sell screening and velcro --you could probably make it yourself. Cut a piece of vinyl screen and line the edges with velcro. Then stick velcro on the edges of the top of the tank.

Aliza

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
for leos just a simple window screen mesh top would work. if you measure the angles and lengths, go to a home improvement store and buy small wood trim pieces. get the store to cut them to length and the angles, then sandwich the screen between the pieces and either glue or screw together. probably cost you less than 10 bucks. if you want something sturdier to keep the cats out, i would suggest getting an acrylic piece cut to fit and just attach hinges using superglue.

Visit our friends