Using the wrong heater?

Andski

Hey guys. I've had my leo for a week, and she seems fine, but i've suddenly realised that the heater i'm using is most likely wrong. This is frustrating, as the reptile shop i purchased it from reccomended it to me.

I'm using a microclimate AHS (Advanced Heating System) which attatches to the side of the vivarium and then using a thermostat to maintain a constant temp. The fact it's on the side cause that to be the hot side, with the opposite side becoming the cool side. The temperatures on both sides are as they should be. I'm using thermometers to check this. However, i'm assuming my leo isn't getting much belly heat from this. I may be wrong but should i switch to a UTH as soon as i can?

If so then which one should i think of purchasing. Thanks :(

roger

Hey guys. I've had my leo for a week, and she seems fine, but i've suddenly realised that the heater i'm using is most likely wrong. This is frustrating, as the reptile shop i purchased it from reccomended it to me.

I'm using a microclimate AHS (Advanced Heating System) which attatches to the side of the vivarium and then using a thermostat to maintain a constant temp. The fact it's on the side cause that to be the hot side, with the opposite side becoming the cool side. The temperatures on both sides are as they should be. I'm using thermometers to check this. However, i'm assuming my leo isn't getting much belly heat from this. I may be wrong but should i switch to a UTH as soon as i can?

If so then which one should i think of purchasing. Thanks :(

yeah your right sorta.Technically u can have the pad on the side as long as the surface heat is between 88-95 but that seems impractical and u would have to set it real high to get the temps u want on the surface.. I have a racking system with heat tape so I cant offer a good heat pad for underneath your tank.Im sure somebody will chime in shortly with info

Andski

Ok i'll pick up an UTH as soon as i can. As well as a thermostat for it. Quick question, if i'm using tile as the substrate, and i have a wooden vivarium, can i simply put the UTH beneath the tiles? Thanks.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Here's what I use for UTH- http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?cPath=1204&products_id=5578

I love 'em. They're nice and thin, and are SUPPOSED to max out at less than 100 degrees.

To answer your question about putting the UTH under tile and not using a thermostat, you may actually not get enough heat that way, or it might work. It would depend on what the ambient temp is in the room. I have adjusted some of my tanks that way in the past, and then checked them for a few days with a heat gun. If you play with it for a while, you can get it worked out.

Visit our friends