UTH frustration/confusion

Euphillia

I am setting up a 20L with a ceramic tile bottom. The tiles are 1/4 inch thick and sitting directly on the glass. I even scraped out the corners of silicone to make sure it was a nice flush fit with no raised corners. I bought a Zoo Med heater for 10-20 gallons. It's been hooked up for 2 days now and I cannot get the temp of the tile to go above 80. The temp of the glass under is about 98.

I don't know what to do. Is this normal? Should I get a second and set them side by side?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Tape a sheet of aluminum foil under the UTH so the UTH is sandwiched between the bottom of the tank and the foil. This should raise the heat on top of the tile. If you can get hold of a watt meter, measure to make sure the UTH is putting out the correct wattage. If not, it may be defective (it should really be above 98 under the tank)

Aliza

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Ceramic is an insulator. An extremely effective insulator, depending on the exact mixture and shape- there is some variability.

You should check the UTH as Aliza suggested because it is one potential problem, but if you have fit together a perfect set of tight tile across the entire bottom of the tank- you have just insulated it with an extremely efficient non-conductive surface.

Euphillia

I will try the foil for sure. I had it plugged into a dimmer as well. I did go ahead and bypass the dimmer switch for now. Thanks for that advice.

Euphillia

The dimmer was all up. I plugged it into the wall and got the same results. I went and replaced it today and so far I have the temp up to 83 within a few hours. I think it was pretty defective. Hopefully in the morning it will be closer to 90. Fingers crossed! I really want to make sure its working for a few weeks before getting my dude.

Kudzu

I have the same exact set up as you minus the foil my tiles stay at around 95-98 at all times only thing the end where the UTH is hanging in the air off the side of my stand that it is on. I will post Pics in a sec

Euphillia

I put both of the heaters on there and I suddenly have a 93 reading for the past 4-5 hours. I don't know what the deal is, but if it stays like that I will be thrilled!! I think maybe the heater for the 10-20 just isn't big enough for a 20L. But I also have never used one.

S

Serf

I cannot get my terrarium over 80 either. i use news paper as a substrate though. i have the 30-40 gallon zoomed uth. i was thinking i may need a bigger uth but it cover 1/3 of the floor space of my cage.
I will try the foil thing though.

Visit our friends