UTH ( glass getting really hot )

bebetee

So I have a 20gLong and I'm using a zoomed UTH. I am using foam as a substrate and the tempt on the foam is at 92-93
but when I touch the GLASS at the bottom alone it BURNS my hand ..and its over 105f! what should I use to control that I want it to stay at a constant 92-93 on the glass so it's not burning the crap out of the glass which I'm scared is going to shatter .. has anyone else had this problem where the glass pretty much burns you when you touch it?

should I use a thermostat ? or rheostat, people are saying you can get a thermostat at Canadian tire or home depot ..but arent those the one you have to have installed in your house? how does it work for a UTH?

wakeskate420

the cheapest way is to just buy a dimmer at a hardware store and plug it into your uth and then into the wall and dim it down until you get your desired temps, i got mine for around $5-$10 at target

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
The foam you're using is acting like an insulator; therefore heat from the UTH is trapped underneath making the glass much hotter than the surface on top of your foam substrate.

bebetee

the cheapest way is to just buy a dimmer at a hardware store and plug it into your uth and then into the wall and dim it down until you get your desired temps, i got mine for around $5-$10 at target

what is the name or brand of the dimmer? ..the dimmer I see are just like light switch dimmers I dunno what kind to get or ..if any here do just plug into the wall.

wakeskate420

what is the name or brand of the dimmer? ..the dimmer I see are just like light switch dimmers I dunno what kind to get or ..if any here do just plug into the wall.

idk the brand since i through the package away but it was just a light switch dimmer, mine looks exactly like this one http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

i would also suggest changing the substrate as gothra said, maybe to just paper towels for a little bit and she how the temps change :main_thumbsup:

Grip Fast

“Ballinbreich”
105 ain't that hot, and yes the foam is acting as an insulator! if you drop the temp on the glass then the temp on the foam will drop as well!

bzlizzy

:3
i've get to get my UTH from exo terra. but im using carpet for my gecko. those kinda house carpet with rubber lining underneath. is it gonna be so hot till its gonna melt the carpet?? oh dear. i hope not.

thegeckoguy23

+1 with everyone else and also get a thermostat with a probe and put the probe in the hot side or hide or where ever you need it and set the temp to what you need try 90.

Jake

Visit our friends