UTH questions ..plz help ..

LifeKills11

My question is simple ..I originally got the uth for the nite time ..but I experimented last nite and put the temp gauge on the floor with the heaternon n it was like 80 ! So I turned it off and used the light ..but then web I pols him up his body was really cold ..so I dnt knw way to do .shud I use the uth for the day time ?? But them agen I'd rather have him get tht belly heat at nite so he can digest..wat shud i do

Phish999

you should use it all the time belly heat should be between 92 and 95 but another thing you have to consider is that the uth should only be 1/3 the size of the tank for thermo regulation if your gecko is too hot he will move to the cool side i had the same dilemma belly heat is way more important than ambient i have 2 leos both on uth only and both sit around 93 all day sometimes 91 but remember they are desert lizards they can take heat over 100 is too high but 80 is wayyyyyy to low fyi i dont use lights at all anymore for my leos

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Agree'd ^^^. you def. need to bump your temps up to the 88-93 range for optimum health of your gecko. 80*F Is def. way too low for proper functions. There's a couple great threads on proper temps for your leo. There's one that is a poll taht gives you a great idea of what temps everyone keeps their leos at. Just type "Poll" into the search bar and it'll come up (along with a bunch of others, but it's there).

LifeKills11

Umm u guys I never sed it was 80 dgrees in the day time it was 80 in the nite time and thts too hot ,..it shud be around 70-75 ..but I thnk ima ditch the lite ..n just use the uth ...maybe I shud I get a thermostat to go along with tht

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
There should really only be a 5-ish degree temp change from day to night in your warm spot at the most imo so even for a night temperature 80 would be too low I think. Your cool side to hot side gradient tho should be about 10-ish degrees difference.

prettyinpink

I'm not sure what you're talking about? You don't have to do anything at night...just keep the UTH plugged in. The only thing that happens is there should be no day time light at night, that's it.

Please read the caresheets...you need to take a look at them to help you understand what we are talking about.

LifeKills11

ive read caresheets..and some say at nite time temps shud be around 75 f.. they cant be in day temps 80-90f at nite .!! and u guys say 80 is fine at nite time?!! hmm iunno doesnt sound right..when in reality the carsheets u guys r telln me to read says nite temps shud range from 70-75...

LifeKills11

ive had it on for abt 30 mins now to an hour..and the temp said 105 degrees!! and thts with the temp gauge inside his hide tht he sleeps in... isnt tht too hot >?!! when i has the day time light on the temp would be abt 90-95 degrees..and tht was with the temp gauge on the floor ..so the floor temps were 90-95...isnt this whole uth during the day too much for him?

clemsonguy1125

Or a rheostat, I got one for 20 bucks from zoomed, gets me in the "ok" range, theres also a zoomed one for 30 bucks, and theres a 26 buck one on amazon thats commonly mentioned, I cant remember the name though. Some people have luck with lamp dimmers.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Remember these animals originate from the afghan desert so they're use to hot days and cold nights. Altho 105 is much too hot, you can adjust it down with the tools mentioned already.. Also until you get one of those, you can thicken his substrait with layers of cardboard or towels or tile until you do get a rheostat or thermostat.

roger

Remember these animals originate from the afghan desert so they're use to hot days and cold nights. Altho 105 is much too hot, you can adjust it down with the tools mentioned already.. Also until you get one of those, you can thicken his substrait with layers of cardboard or towels or tile until you do get a rheostat or thermostat.

very simple. warm end 90-95 with a UTH 24/7 and the cool end at room temp.U need a thermostat for your uth

LifeKills11

hey ugbuys thx for the tips i jusst got the zilla 1000watt temp cntroller. althlough it says put the probe where direct radiant heat does not hit ? where should i put the probe? under his hide on the hot side corrct?

LifeKills11

hey i was wondering..since the heatmat isoff and connected to the thermostat...does my loe still get body heat ? the prob is directly under his hide..and i have it at 75 so tht means its still above 75 correct? and is 75 a good temp for the nite time?

roger

hey i was wondering..since the heatmat isoff and connected to the thermostat...does my loe still get body heat ? the prob is directly under his hide..and i have it at 75 so tht means its still above 75 correct? and is 75 a good temp for the nite time?

why is your heat mat off ?u must have a temperature set on your thermostat no ? you say u have it set for 75 thats too cold for the warm endYeah u want to monitor under the hide.warm end must be between 88-95 deg 24/7 and a cool end at room temperature

LifeKills11

Well u mean I'm tryna get it nite temps thts why ..I dnt want my leop at day temps 24/7 ..isnt tht unhealthy??!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Do you adjust your house heat down at night? I turn mine down from 67 to 64 at night, which does affect the temps of your leos cage. The reason for keeping a thermal gradient in your tank is so that your leo can thermoregulate at his own choice not what we dictate for them. By keeping the hot side pretty consistant (keep in mind that depending on your thermostat you could range a 5 degree difference between when it activates your uth and what you have it truly set for) then your leo will be fine.

Visit our friends