Well, i need help!!!! ASAP

T

Trevor's Leo

Well, I don't entirely think this is OK. My UTH is only getting to about 90 (if that). Right now, it stays at about 86-89 I think it may be because my house temp is cool (usually 66). Now, If I get a leo, and this is the temp, will it be OK until the weather warms up? i know breeders have a cool down period for breeding, so would this be OK?

Thanks,
~Trevor

steve905

You can put a solid cover over the top of the tank and that should help raise the ambient temps. I have my leos in a basement and its frequently in the low 60's yet they get out crawl around and go back over the heat strip. Good Luck

T

Trevor's Leo

Okay, I will do. Could i put a towel over the screen?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
A towel will work. If that doesn't retain enough heat you could also add a heat light or ceramic heat emitter to boost ambient temps.

Latlaw

I have a piece of plexiglass covering half the screen top. That helps. Also, a low wattage infrared lamp on the other half helps a lot. Make sure you are placing your temp probe on the floor directly over the UTH.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You can also try taping a piece of aluminum foil over the UTH (so that the UTH is sandwiched between the bottom of the tank and the aluminum foil). I was testing a new tank with a UTH I don't usually use and the aluminum foil raised the temp the last few degrees. Another thing to do if you're using tile, is to use paper towel just over the UTH instead of tile and the temps will be higher there.

Aliza

T

Trevor's Leo

Aliza, I will try that! It sounds like a pretty good idea. I do not have tile, just paper towel.

Visit our friends