what lizard should i get next

what lizard should i get next?

• Total voters

Amanda1

3 Year Member
You may want to be more specific about how much money and space you have. Pythons, turtles, and beardies are going to require A LOT of space. Would you rather have a carnivore (which would take care of all the species listed above), or an herbivore such as a tortoise or a uromastyx. Uro's are very similar to beardies personality-wise; they're very docile and friendly but most don't get as big as beardies. How much do you want to handle your new pet? Generally frogs should not be handled much, because it causes them a lot of stress and because they easily absorb toxins through their skin.

You could also check petfinder.com to see if there are any herps at shelters near you. Turtles, pythons, and beardies are pretty commonly found at shelters, so you could do a good deed by rescuing a homeless pet.

Jetfire

How much potential equipment do you plan to have to setup and maintain? Turtles will require a good filtration system, preferably a canister filter if you go over 40 gallons or so. Except for spotted turtles and muds/musks, every species of turtle will eventually outgrow a 55 gal tank, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.
As far as larger pythons, are you going to be able to find a reliable source of inexpensive rats, and eventually rabbits? Do you have someone willing to help you handle the snake once it gets over 10-12' long?

BuddyTony

i have a friend who breedes feeder rats and a humide room with nothing in it so i could divide half of it then make it into a sancturary for turtles

Jetfire

Turtles are simply awesome, they are a close second to geckos in my heart. I used to breed spotted turtles, and a 55 gal tank (with 1/3 of the tank partitioned for a land area) was plenty of tank for an adult trio.if you go turtles, do yourself a favor and get a second-hand wet/dry shopvac, it makes water changes and tank cleaning worlds easier. Work smarter, not harder. And remember, with turtles there is no such thing as too much filtration.adding cleaner fish will help, as well as adding some free swimming protein. I keep mosquito fish, grass shrimp, and little crawdads in with my little turtles. Once you get a tank setup and balanced, only partial water changes are necessary, add long as the filter is kept clean.sometimes I just have to add some water to replace what evaporated out.
Different turtles require different setups, too.you can't keep a matamata in the same setup as a red-ear slider and expect success.do your homework, and setup the tank as best you can to suit that species need or preferences

Jetfire

Case in point- mud turtles like relatively shallow water, with lots of plants (for hiding and subsurface basking), slow to no current (I point the filter outflow against the wall of the tank, cuts the current way down), and a couple haul out areas, for dry basking on occasion.since my 3 mud turtles are still small yearlings,a 10 gal tank is plenty of room. These guys will eventually move to a 20 long, before their adulthood 55. 2012-04-08_14-39-18_635.jpg 2012-04-08_13-54-44_362.jpg

Jetfire

Sorry, had to share a pic of the latest round of "tiny turtle king of the mountain", the chelonian free-for-all I get to see all the time.

Jetfire

Sadly, here in Charleston,a basement doubles as an in-ground pool.you dig down 18" and draw standing water.I wish I had a basement...

Jetfire

Unless you're in the south, then your attic is over 100° for at least 6 months.great if you have uromastyx, not so much for my babies.

Geckomaster743

Yeah Two Disadvantages about having a Basement in Texas. Its always TOO Hot here. And when it gets Cold its too Cold. And then theres the fact that the Soil is so Dry its hard to have a Stable basement. Wouldnt want my leo's getting Caved in :(

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I'm up against Lake Erie, so my attic has been great this winter. The room has no windows which makes it easier, too.

I just have to see what kinda of summer I get, but historically temps have stayed in the mid 80s in my attic, with air conditioning on for really hot days.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I wish I had a basement or an attic! I have my reptiles in my bedroom! I'm jealous of all you guys! ;)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Oh, And I voted for a beardie - so you can join BeardedDragonForum.com too! ;):)

Jordan1

I say you get another leo maybe, unless your looking for change.If you don't really wnt a leo i suggest a beardie, they seem kinda cool and fun.Don't forget plan ahead, Pythons get huge depending on what python your getting , ball pythons are the smallest and would be good for one person handling they get up to 4-5ft and require a 40gal(i think)Thing is they eat meat, not crickets or mealworms your going to need rats/mice.Turtles are very cool and im still thinking about one myself but since i have all my reptiles in my room i don't know where ill get the space.With all my stuff the 2 leo's i have i doubt ill have enough room.tomatoe frogs and oher frogs can't be handle often or at all and thats a minus for what your looking for.unless you only want to own it and care for it.With 500$ spending you could get a leo and a tank with some of the best equipement with money to spare for more accesories and food and + you already have 2 leos which would help you care for another one.Its up to you of course.Choose wisely.:)

Visit our friends