What size do you sell AFT's?

Saille

There was a thread like this in the leo section, (the general consensus was about15-20 grams or larger for leos) but as Fatties are a little smaller and different, I would love to know what size/weight you AFT breeders feel comfortable selling you hatchlings at?

THanks!
Saille

SFgeckos

hmm...

In terms of size, that would depend on if the breeder was selling SEXED or unsexed babies. Obviously the sexed offspring would be larger to ensure accuracy in determining gender. Also, for high orange or other "coloration" selectively bred fattails, their "true" body coloration isn't apparent until about 3-6 months, depending on their genetics.
For example, I have a colony of "tangerine" fattails that produce amazing offspring. I usually hold back all of them for 5-6 months, then keep back the nicest ones for future breeding.
Hope this information helps.

Jon

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I think a major part of this is location. Would i sell a baby AFT to someone in CA from here in PA, no. But would i sell it to someone local or closer, that is a experienced fatties keeper, yes. So it all depends on location and experience for me.

Saille

Thank you both for the responses, they makes total sense.
I have three Fattie hatchlings, I am holding back one, (my first hatchling ever, named Dinsdale) and the next two should be normals (though mum has a stripe, Dad is a normal) and I'm selling them locally to some friends who I trust, so no shipping worries there. I have three more eggs incubating at 84-85 degrees, one ready to hatch any day now (the other egg in that particular clutch was a dud). I'm happy to hold back to see how they grow up, so 4-6 months sounds appropriate.

I was thinking of selling them a little sooner to my friends, as they're local, but I wanted to be sure that they're well established, so I don't mind waiting and growing them up a bit.

Another Question though: I have heard of people breeding and raising fatties, the hatchlings growing and thriving, only to suddenly have some randomly die off after a few weeks or months. Thankfully, this has not happened to me, but I was wondering if you have ever heard of this happening, possible reasons for it (so a prevention could be worked out if possible) and how long the "grace period" would be to be sure that they're healthy?

I would feel terrible if I sold a juvie to someone and it just up and died, so I really want to make sure that this doesn't happen to the best of my abilities. I love all my critters and really want to be sure they go to good homes and that they're healthy, quality animals, so I have screened the friends that I'm selling to so far and I do trust their husbandry and experience.
Thanks again for any input! :)

Last edited:

Visit our friends