whats the best bulbs to use for day and night

enigmaslim

just wondering? I got a day time bulb and I use either a blue light or red light for night all are heated. Whats the best to use that wont bother there eyes?

leogecko88

I think a red light light would be better for night. It is easier to see your gecko with a red than a blue. Also, leos don't appear to be able to see red light.

leogecko88

Right now I am using an Exo terra infrared bulb. I was using a Zoo Med red bulb. The only difference I noticed was the Exo is more expensive.

Although they don't seem to bother Yoshi, I guess some leos don't like red lights. If your leo is bothered by red light, try the nocturnal blue light and see if that works.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I prefer the Zoomed infrared bulb over the Exoterra. The Zoomed one is darker red, whereas the Exoterra is almost "orangy"; I watched my leo's eyes in reaction to both bulbs, they can see definately see the light from the Exoterra bulb.

Holly12

I use a red bulb all the time and my two female leos are happy with it it does not bother thier eyes at all it stays on 24 hours a day.

M

mushraeddur

Right now I am using an Exo terra infrared bulb. I was using a Zoo Med red bulb. The only difference I noticed was the Exo is more expensive.

Although they don't seem to bother Yoshi, I guess some leos don't like red lights. If your leo is bothered by red light, try the nocturnal blue light and see if that works.

I currently do not use a day bulb at all...the temp from the UTH seems to hold at around 92-94 degrees. I turn 2-25w blue bulbs on at night which help to keep a nice temp. I tried using the red, but it was too strong (I could have down graded to a smaller wattage to fix that probably) and too bright for my son at night (it's in his room). So the blue lights work great. If the temp doesn't seem to stay where it should during the day, I'll end up leaving the blue lights on all the time.

enigmaslim

i think i'll use the red bulb for day, it gets about 90-95 with that and blue at night, that one gets about 85 to 90. the day time bulb hits 95-100 so i think I'll use the other two for now

BrunoNRG

Currently I don't use any lamp for ilumination purpose, I only use a ceramic lamp for heating (besides a heating
mat) that is allways on. I don't know if this can cause any problem, I read that leopard geckos don't need any
type of artificial light. The terrarium is close to a window, that I open in the moning and close at night.

Eko/Kim

I use a heatmat and a red heat lamp at the mo cos it's really cold. I think the red light does bother him, it is real bright and if I cover the top of the enclosure so that it's darker he seems to come out more.
Does anybody use ceramic bulbs instead? Do I need a special fixture for those?

Thanks

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
Does anybody use ceramic bulbs instead? Do I need a special fixture for those?

Thanks

just make sure the watt rating on the socket is the same or higher than the ceramic heat emitter. it's probably a good idea to use a ceramic socket and a reflector housing with a cage on it to prevent accidental contact with the ceramic element.

good luck!
rob

BrunoNRG

This might be a stupid question but, I just wanted to confirm something: In cermic lamps, as well as other lamps,
what determines the temperature they heat up to is wattage, right? :main_huh: I probably need to get a lower wattage lamp...:main_rolleyes:

Visit our friends