whats up everybody!

S

sportbike_rob

my name is robbie, and today i just got a fat tailed gecko as an early 21st birthday gift from my mother. i did alot of research prior to getting it, and i had the cage ready when he came in. but i need advice. im still a little confused on feeding, do i just toss a the crickets in the cage, or do i have to feed it manually? i have a few in his cage now, however he seems scared/uninterested in them, is this because i have to feed him manually or is it because of the stress with moving from the petstore to my house?

N

nicolenadia

Stress is one thing perhaps. Im not expert, but is he a baby? Sometimes the babies can be harassed by the crickets, therefore you should feed your gecko meal worms or wax worms or canned small crickets...You may have trouble getting him to eat a non moving insect, since they are hunters. My geckso are just fat, lazy and spiled and will eat just about anything I lower down in tongs....lol. Never feed with your fingers!!!! If he gets used to "Hand feeding" your going ot get bit when he gets bigger. Gets ome big tongs and try feeding him small meal worms...and shake the tongs and see what happens. Who really knows though, stress can really interfere with feeding. I personally so not use crickets ever. They would bite my geckos, drown in tanks water bowl and they are the foulest feeders to keep.
This is just my advice from what works with me, but you will have tofigure out by trail and error what works for you.

Nice to meet you and I was so happy to read that you did your homework first....i get so pissy when people go out and buy animals on a "whim" without knowing anything about them. Just hang out at PetCo for a few hours and you will see them come in by the handfull....usually all wanting to buy baby igunanas.... :(

BalloonzForU

Most likely he/she is stress from being put into a new home and will eat once adjusted to his new home. Don't feed canned crix they don't really have any good natritional value. Try only placing one live crix in his viv and see if he goes for it. If he eats it then add more. Always remove any uneaten crix, as they will stress the gecko out.

S

sportbike_rob

he is not a baby, hes about 5-6 inches. i'll go ahead and take the rest of the crix out and just put one in with him and see what happens.

S

sportbike_rob

i tried using the tongs to feed him one, but he just turned his nose up at it. i'll just leave him alone and try again tomorrow in the AM i dont want to stress him out more than he already is.

N

nicolenadia

Well now that I have read that he is not a baby, than I would not reccomend canned crickets. Sometimes, thats all I can get my babies to eat, and regardless of the nutritional value, its better than starving them.

supremegecko

Wally - Supreme Gecko
Robbie,
Not to worry. The gecko is just adjusting to his new home. Sometimes they will not eat for a day to a week. This is not abnormal at all.
You should wait a couple of days to allow your new pet a chance to adjust and then feed 3-4 crickets in the evening. Watch him for a little while. Usually they will eat immediately if they are hungry. If it doesn't eat, go away and check in the morning. If there are any remaining crickets, take them out and try again that evening. If you leave the crickets in the enclosure, they could gang up against teh gecko. A couple evenings of feedings in and your gecko should be eating.

S

sportbike_rob

okay, thats alot of worrying off my shoulders. i plan to get him a bigger enclosure. probably a 20 gallon aquarium and also plan to get a heating pad, and other useful decor good substrate... all that stuff. right now he is in a ten gallon, but its more tall than wide, and there is very little room for his hides or anything, he needs something quite a bit bigger, (reason for the small enclosure....i thought he was gonna be a baby, when my mom brought him home i was suprised) but i dont want to put more stress on him while i move him yet again. should i get it and wait a little while before relocating him to it, or should i just relocate him to his new enclosure when i get it? i dont want to stress him out too bad.

S

sacredcreatures

Whats up Robbie? Welcome to the greatest Gecko site on the net( AND I REALLY MEAN THAT) I hope you know whats your in for-Heres a tip Geckos are Addictive!!! :main_evilgrin: I have Fatties, Cresteds and Leos and I never have enough. I love the different Morphs and patterns and believe it or not they all have individual personalities( AT LEAST MINE DO) You will get any questions you have answered and the support here is fantastic. Pictures are important so please post some soon of your new Fattie We love pictures!!!! ;) Deb

S

sportbike_rob

gixxer3420 said:
Welcome! So what kind of sports bike do you own?

had an 05' raven r6. untill a guy in a car intentionally cut me off and slammed the brakes. i had a mesh jacket on that didnt fair out to well. took it as a lesson learned only full leather from here on out:main_thumbsup: . looking to buy a 2000-2004 ninja 636 in the near future. i frequent www.sportbike.com quite often (screen name is ravenr6_rider over there)

S

sportbike_rob

sacredcreatures said:
Whats up Robbie? Welcome to the greatest Gecko site on the net( AND I REALLY MEAN THAT) I hope you know whats your in for-Heres a tip Geckos are Addictive!!! :main_evilgrin: I have Fatties, Cresteds and Leos and I never have enough. I love the different Morphs and patterns and believe it or not they all have individual personalities( AT LEAST MINE DO) You will get any questions you have answered and the support here is fantastic. Pictures are important so please post some soon of your new Fattie We love pictures!!!! ;) Deb

im finding that personality thing out really quick, i just realised my gecko is a lazy bum. he'll lay in one spot for about 8 hours, get up, and move to his hide for another 8 hours. lol. and he is slowly starting to eat more and more and become more active tho. which is good.

S

sportbike_rob

gixxer3420 said:
I own a 05 GSXR 1000 and I'm on gixxer.com alot my name there is RobK5

waht kind of riding do you do? are you a stunter, or a kneedragger? i been wanting to get another bike to go out to jennings GP (semi-local) all motorcycle racetrack here in FL. im also a member of tampasportbikes.net name is xb9sx_rider over there. i had a buell lightning for a short period also, i was riding like a squid, and paid the price for that also, luckily the gear saved me some serious injuries on that. :eek: i take both accidents as lessons learned. and the second one as a stupid mistake. i'll get back on and learn right next time tho. :eek:

gixxer3420

My riding style is "kneedragger". I like trying to use my bike for what it was built for. Not into stunting at all, as far as I will go with stunting is wheelies but they are not dangerous compared to what stunts those crazy stunters do. I just had a buddy move down to florida, he took his bike with him. he has an 06 gixxer 600 and he is one of the best riders I've ever seen do wheelies. So I'm sure he is loving it down in the sunny warm weather, he'll ride that bike year round down there. AS for gear I wear leather jacket and gloves, not leather pants for me. I get kicked of the quarter mile track every week when they are running because my speeds are to high. The quarter mile tracks where I live have a rule if you run 2 straight runs under 10 seconds without full leather they don;t let you run anymore. My bike runs 9.7 second quarter miles at 154 mphs. So I guess I'm going to have to get full leathers sometime if i want to get my bike faster.

S

sportbike_rob

gixxer3420 said:
My riding style is "kneedragger". I like trying to use my bike for what it was built for. Not into stunting at all, as far as I will go with stunting is wheelies but they are not dangerous compared to what stunts those crazy stunters do. I just had a buddy move down to florida, he took his bike with him. he has an 06 gixxer 600 and he is one of the best riders I've ever seen do wheelies. So I'm sure he is loving it down in the sunny warm weather, he'll ride that bike year round down there. AS for gear I wear leather jacket and gloves, not leather pants for me. I get kicked of the quarter mile track every week when they are running because my speeds are to high. The quarter mile tracks where I live have a rule if you run 2 straight runs under 10 seconds without full leather they don;t let you run anymore. My bike runs 9.7 second quarter miles at 154 mphs. So I guess I'm going to have to get full leathers sometime if i want to get my bike faster.

the only time i did a wheelie was on my old buell. i was going around a corner and downshifted to waht i thought was second gear, i accidently went to first, and gunned it going out of the corner, i seen sky flew off the back, and ended up with a compression fracture to my lower back, and my gear save my butt, and the gloves saved my hands. it ended up being a really expensive and painful "brain fart" :eek: but i learned alot from that mistake. still trying to recover financially from it too. my first accident i was intentionally taken out..

BTW, definately get them leather pants if your gonna be doing wheelies, mine saved my butt......litterally, if it werent for my pants, i wouldnt have any cheeks left. no joke. boots too, broken ankles suck, here is a link to my pics from my first accident (when i was intentionally taken out) not the one i explained above......NWS, wound pics......http://sportbike.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3513

Last edited by a moderator:

Visit our friends