When should I adjust my feeding schedule?

bry12345

Boss has hit 51 grams and is roughly 8 inches in length. As of right now, I have her on 15 small mealies from rainbow (dusted with Repashy) every day. She devours them immediately, then keeps searching and looking at me like she's expecting more. She looks healthy to me, her tail is good and her belly tends to sag a little lol. My question is, is she being fed enough and just being fat? Should I feed her more or bigger?

My other question is, when should I change off of an every day schedule? I've heard the 6 months old general rule, but we don't know how old she is.

Here's a picture for context. There's some mealworms for size comparison in her bowl.
20160202_001332.jpg

I know I've probably asked related to this before, but advice is much appreciated. This forum has done a lot for my husbandry.

indyana

She looks as though she's large enough to be changed to every other day feeding. You'll have to feed her double the number of mealworms every other day to keep her at her current caloric intake.

As for the amount to feed, judge by her body condition. If she starts getting too fat, cut her back. If she starts losing weight or looking skinny, feed her more. Not an exact science, since every gecko is different. While usually adults start to eat less food, females may start to produce infertile eggs in some cases. She will need more food and calcium to keep up her resources if that happens.

Judging from your pictures, she's right now in good body condition. She could gain a little without being obese, but she's definitely not underweight.

bry12345

Thanks for the advice. I'll go ahead and do this! Just needed the go ahead since this is the first time I've really had to consider it.

Visit our friends