Where Can I Find a Big Enough Terrarium ?

Ziggurat

If I'm going to have a breeding colony of 3 geckos, I'll need a home for them. This means means something bigger than the tiny terrariums the pet stores around here sell. Is there a reputable terrarium seller with reasonable prices? Exactly what should I say when ordering one with room enough for a 3 leopard gecko breeding colony?

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
PetSmart, Petco, local shops...they should all beable to get in 40 gallon breeders. I'd go that route as they offer more horizontal surface area.

PetSmart and Petco should have their 40 gallon breeders for around $99 + tax. This is for the reptile specific ones (have a sliding lid built in). Actual fish-keeping versions will run more, around $130 if I remember right, and you'll still have to buy a screen lid to replace the glass canopies that come with the fish version. Upside to the fish version though is that you also get a light hood, versus the reptile version has no light hood, which the hoods run around $40-70 from either Petco or PetSmart. Some will not see the light hood as a plus as many on here think you have to keep your geckos in the pitch black 24/7 or that light will blind them -- neither couldn't be more far from the truth.

Speaking on lighting, the select few geckos that happen to live in tanks within my collection have at least a GE Reveal 40watt bulb over the basking area (this brings temps to about 88-90 air and 92-95 surface) and some have 18 inch under-the-cabinet kitchen lighting fluorescent fixtures. Within the fluoro. fixtures I have GE daylight bulbs. They put out a kelvin temp light of 6500k, which is similar to standing out in noon daylight. My geckos aren't blind within these setups, and actually will be out and about throughout the day at times.

A little TMI, but I figured I'd cut the head off the ignorants that scream about any type of lighting being present.

Visit our friends