• Compaq Presario SR2150NX

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Bundle With Intel® Celeron® D Processor 356 eMachines® Desktop T5082

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Mine is crashing a lot and not starting up at times so its time to get a new one, now, what to get, these are in my price range and both have a $50 rebate so not much difference in cost but Im not so up to date on waht is the best for a low cost computer and need some help.

Take a look and let me know what you think about these two, Please:
http://www.officedepot.com/shop/ite...elevance&N=100000&Nty=1&uniqueSearchFlag=true

Scott&Nikki

Not only is practically everything better with the eMachine, I have heard many complaints about Compaq over the years with their products and customer service.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I'm not a fan of the "ready-made" machines, having built all but my first desktop PC myself. That being said, the easy vote for me would be the eMachine model. Too much proprietary twists and turns in a Compaq, making them difficult at best to upgrade!

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of either brand, but the eMachine is nicer where it counts. My only concern is the ram. You should really have a gig of ram, running dual channel if possible for Vista. Vista should run fine with what you have, but have another 512mb of ram will help for multitasking. If you would want to get another stick, don't buy it from office depot...they're $70ish. You can get a nice kingston stick from newegg for $40. The rebate can pay for the ram later.

Scott&Nikki

HP is a much better choice. I just don't know how much it is going to be with the upgrades you are gonna want, but I would go with an HP easily over the other choices.

NaughtyDawg

Scott&Nikki said:
HP is a much better choice. I just don't know how much it is going to be with the upgrades you are gonna want, but I would go with an HP easily over the other choices.

Why? HP and Compaq are the same company.

Get what you can afford..

NaughtyDawg

We deploy nothing but HP servers, previously Compaq ML370's and I can count on one hand the actual HW problems I have encountered. I think these things are great. Maybe we have been lucky.

A case can be made for or against and company.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Ok I can afford $450 or less preferably LESS, I can get the:

Hp Customize your a1510y with this for $409
Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic
Intel(R) Celeron(R) D 356 (3.33GHz, 533MHz FSB)
1GB DDR-533MHz SDRAM (1x1024)
80GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
2 USB, front audio ports
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports
HP Keyboard, HP Scroller Mouse
Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

I can add a:
HP 17-inch flat CRT monitor for $50 and give my LCD flat screen to the kids computer if its worth the difference in price for a CRT

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
NaughtyDawg said:
Why? HP and Compaq are the same company.

Get what you can afford..

I never knew that! I thought they were different companies, took me a while to figure out that emachine was by Gateway though so I am behind in the times.

My current Hp 544 is I th ink 6-7 years old so for what I paid, it was a good deal to not need a replacement til now.

I just need a little help with a new one. :eek:

J

Jayyoung

I go generic ever time
build it through Micro magic or arsenal some placed like that. why buy a name?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Jayyoung said:
I go generic ever time
build it through Micro magic or arsenal some placed like that. why buy a name?

Is there a site for them that can ship pretty fast?

If mine shuts down again it may not cut back on without a ton more hassle.

I can add hardware and software, done it many times but I want something that is current to come to me to work with later as need be.

Visit our friends