Adult rescue gecko help

Inrk

I was gifted a leo recently by a friend who can no longer take care of him/her, that I really have no idea about, except that it's over a year old, maybe two. It looks pretty small for it's age but seems to move around well and responds well to food. I was told this guy/gal was never held at all. For obvious reasons handling is necessary for general care, cleaning, inspection, etc. How do I go about getting this guy/gal used to me so I can A) sex it and B) not scare it too bad when I pick it up? I've been taking it slow by just laying my hand in the tank and letting it approach my on its own. It kind of seems like it thinks my hand is food and I really don't want to get bit.

I will attach some photos upon request relating to the size.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A few months ago i found one of my leopard geckos that had escaped as a hatchling 2 years ago. I was also very nervous about trying to handle her after she'd had 2 years on the run. I started by hand feeding her. She would be in her hide and I'd hold a superworm at the entrance for her. As she got more comfortable, I was finally able to gently pick her up. I covered her with one hand to give her a little cave and if she got too upset I'd have her walk from hand to hand (the "gecko treadmill"). She's still not thrilled about being held, but will let me pick her up for short periods.

Aliza

Visit our friends