Babies! + late stage egg turn-HELP! PICS!

KritterKave

Hi all,
Sorry I don't get on here more often, been super busy. A lot have happened in my reptile room in the past few months, but probably most exciting is all the baby cresties i've had hatch the past month!!
I have one concern I am hoping someone can help me with here: I use little food storage containers half filled with perlite with the lid not quite sealed for incubating... inside the terrarium where i keep the rest of the babies- I have a few of these incubators, one for each breeding female. One incubator only has 2 eggs in it at the moment, and when i went to check it today, one had hatched (yay!) but the other hadnt yet, and it appears to have come loose from its position, and rolled. Maybe I moved it too much on accident, but I actually think this lil guy who hatched today rolled it while walking over it... who knows, but its turnt now. I cant see a mark on this egg anymore, maybe i forgot to mark it in the first place, but Idk which way is up now. this is the twin the egg that just hatched, it should hatch here within 24 hours, if the rolling didnt mess it all up.
at this late of incubating (the last day before hatching), will turning the egg kill it? will it hatch anyway? Can i do a C-section, carefully crack the egg a little? is there any way to tell which way is up by weight or shape? the egg isnt a perfect oval, its got the slightest kidney bean curve to it, and one end is def heavier than the other...

please any suggestions to help me save this egg?!?
Thanks! Baby Gecko 6.jpg Baby Gecko 4-5.jpg Baby Gecko 2-3.jpg Baby Gecko 1 .jpg Baby Gecko 7 top.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats on your hatchlings. You'll probably do more harm than good if you open the egg. What's done is done. Leave it alone and hope for the best. The eggs are pretty hardy.

Aliza

KritterKave

well... he made it! after several hours and no hatching still, I got a lil concerned. I took the egg and candled it hard over my phine flashlight, trying to see what I could, turning it slightly every few seconds. Then, I saw lil feet move inside!!, I tried to set the egg so the head would be upwards, and placed it back into the perlite. a few seconds later, saw a first push, second tear, 3rd queeze right on out! must have woke him up with all the motion and bright light... wake up lil dude! your time is now, the whole wolrd's out here!

Attachments

• Baby Gecko 8 side.jpg
    Baby Gecko 8 side.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Baby Gecko 8 top again.jpg
    Baby Gecko 8 top again.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 9
  • Baby Gecko 8 top.jpg
    Baby Gecko 8 top.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 8

Visit our friends