baby eye questions

greenhousegecko

I have a two week old hatchling that struggled getting out of the egg. After emerging she still had her umbilical cord attached. After about 48 hours it fall off and she seemed fine. Now for the past week she has been holding her eye shut. Previous experience with gecko eyes (I have had two other with eye issues) has taken me to the vet and I have been instructed to utilize geltears drops. I have been putting drops on her eye, but am wondering what might be causing it. Her first shed didn't go well and I am hoping that some skin just got stuck and hope that the next shed will prove to be easier for her. She is already falling well behind her clutch mate in size so I am separating them. Any other suggestions?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the drops are a good idea. I use water, but the drops are probably better. It may take awhile before you see what the problem is. It could be a shed but could also be some mild deformity in the eyelid. I have had several geckos with eyelid problems or closed eyes that took awhile to start growing and gaining, but most have done very well eventually.

Aliza

greenhousegecko

Thanks Aliza. What are your thoughts on humidity? Last night I separated her off into her own enclosure and put her moist hide on the hot side to bring up the humidity. My thought is that if I can keep the humidity up through her next shed, maybe it will go more smoothly and I might see an improvement in ther eye...I keep my hatchlings in sterilte containers and use a small UTH. Today the container has condensation on the walls, so I know that it is considerably more humid than it was before. I worry about infection though. I have my own supplies and can do as many fecals as my heart desires to watch for parasites. In my adult inclosures I offer a variety of moist hides and they all see to prefer the one one the warm end of the enclosure.
Thanks for your suggestions!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Thanks Aliza. What are your thoughts on humidity? Last night I separated her off into her own enclosure and put her moist hide on the hot side to bring up the humidity. My thought is that if I can keep the humidity up through her next shed, maybe it will go more smoothly and I might see an improvement in ther eye...I keep my hatchlings in sterilte containers and use a small UTH. Today the container has condensation on the walls, so I know that it is considerably more humid than it was before. I worry about infection though. I have my own supplies and can do as many fecals as my heart desires to watch for parasites. In my adult inclosures I offer a variety of moist hides and they all see to prefer the one one the warm end of the enclosure.
Thanks for your suggestions!

I think that under certain circumstances like what you're describing, a short period of increased humidity is acceptable.

Aliza

Visit our friends