Bioactive substrates for a Leopard Gecko

Kimyoonmi

After finding out one of the "Leopard Geckos" was actually an African Fat Tailed Gecko... (I didn't know, and it was labeled improperly in the pet store)

I decided to separate them and give them their own tanks. (Though for some reason they were constantly with each other in the old tank--I even put in a separator, and they both refused the separator, figuring ways over and under even with duct tape, etc. One of them rushed the barrier to get through...). I have an unused 20 gallon long anyway. I figure I can make it open from the front with some engineering skills. (And I have time to spare)

And want to do an upgrade for both, so they won't miss each other and so I can give them better care.

So I've been researching Bioactive tanks, but there are so many choices for substrates and they don't answer my questions:

- How complicated is it to do a bioactive substrate for a leopard gecko by mixing it myself?
I have eco Earth, forest floor, sand, and I can get powdered clay. (I also incidentally have most of the plants needed already for both geckos). If I mix the soil myself, what are the proportions for that?

- How does the biodude manage to not have a bottom layer to his substrate?
My Leopard gecko loves to dig. So I'm kinda worried about her burrowing to the bottom and kicking things she shouldn't and accidentally swallowing them.

- Will I have to change out the soil once I have the clean up crew in there?
Aquariums, you're supposed to do it every few years even with a bioactive set up because the soil get old, etc. Like should I add more leaves every so often, add food for the clean up crew, etc.

- What is the difference between the bought substrates for growing plants?
Arcadia?
Biodude?
Josh's frogs?

- Are red worms a good idea to add to the tank?

- I also have rice straw (rice hay) a ton of it from a different project. Is it OK to use rice hay in the bioactive tank? If so, would it substitute for the spagnum moss or the leaf litter or would it be separate?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Your questions go way beyond what could be answered in a single post. They're good questions. Below I will post a few articles from Gecko Time about bioactive environments for leopard geckos. In general a good bioactive setup, in my opinion, shouldn't really need to be cleaned, though the substrate often breaks down and needs to be replenished. I am using Josh's Frogs Biobedding Tropical Bioactive for my crested geckos and gargoyles who I mist every evening. I have had one leopard gecko enclosure that was bioactive and numerous AFT enclosures that were bioactive. Normally there is a mesh layer between the expanded clay balls and the substrate. With the stuff from JOsh's frogs they claim that there's no need for the drainage layer (you wouldn't need a drainage layer for the leopard gecko because you won't be misting) and I have found that to be correct.
There is conflicting information out there because there's more than 1 way to do things. At some point you have to just pick something, check to see that there are no compelling reasons not to do it, and try it out.
Here are the Gecko Time articles:

Aliza

bayleembrown

- How complicated is it to do a bioactive substrate for a leopard gecko by mixing it myself?

- How does the biodude manage to not have a bottom layer to his substrate?

- Will I have to change out the soil once I have the clean up crew in there?

- What is the difference between the bought substrates for growing plants?
Arcadia?
Biodude?
Josh's frogs?

- Are red worms a good idea to add to the tank?

- I also have rice straw (rice hay) a ton of it from a different project. Is it OK to use rice hay in the bioactive tank? If so, would it substitute for the spagnum moss or the leaf litter or would it be separate?
There are plenty of bioactive substrate "recipies,"
Like This one.

I also dont have a bottom layer to my tank. She doesnt dig, and the succulents are doing well.

You might have to change part of the soil out yearly. In my crestie tank I try and give the feeders some sort of food if they seem to be struggling.

I havent heard of red worms in any bioactive tank that isnt a crestie or gargoyle. My only worry would be the gecko seeing the worm and trying to eat it, then choking.

Rice straw seems quite abrasive, and unless it is very soft, I would recommend against it. But if you do use it try it as a leaf litter.

Visit our friends