bioactive terrarium

leopardgeckonewbie

so i got a leopard gecko from my cousin and i have cared for it the best i can, but i want to make a bioactive terrarium for him as i think they r cool and they will lessen the work for me overall. rn i just have 3 fake hides all in different temp zones i feed mealworms and crickets and i just use a matt as substrate. oh its a 20 gallon long and i use a night light (its purple idk man) and i had a day light but it died. so yeah i dont have much experience with reptiles im more of a fish guy and i want to learn as much as i can and do the best for him!!! i have some cheap heat pad that i think works my thermometer broke and idek temp ranges for them so please help lol. ummmm i also heard of something auto turning it on or off but i wasnt sure what it was and i want it just to be safe. should the heat pad be on bottom? will it nreak the cord? help! OH!!! also my gecko has trouble shedding on his feet so i just put him in a 2 gallon bucket with shallow warm water thats 80 degrees he hated it so i took him out shortly but yeah. im willing to do work and spend a little bit on him if it will make him happy. sorry this is so long haha um yeah

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome and congrats on the gecko. Here are my responses:
Bioactive: Check out these articles (the author posts on this forum: Indayana):

Heat: the heat on the floor (not the air) on the hot side should be in the low 90's as measured by a temperature (laser) gun or a digital thermometer with a probe you would put on the floor.
The best way to provide this heat is with a heat mat (it's a rectangular pad with an adhesive on one side) that is attached to the bottom of the cage on the outside --right up against the glass. You can also use heat cable (check out Zoomed heat cable) which you can tape onto the bottom of the enclosure (use Nashua tape, available at Home Depot or equivalent). The advantage to heat cable is that you can remove it and install it somewhere else if necessary.
In order to maintain the correct heat, you need to use a thermostat. The thermostat has a probe that you put into the cage. The heat source plus into the thermostat and then the thermostat plugs into the outlet. There are very expensive ones but Zilla, ESU or Alife make ones that are about $30. I have been using some of these for more than 15 years with no problems.

Shed: If you want to soak, you can put about 1/2" of warm water in the sink and put your gecko in for a minute or so. I just use a spray bottle. The trick is that you have to use your fingernails to get the shed off. I usually drape the hem of my shirt over the gecko's head so it won't bite and also because it thinks it's hiding and do one foot at a time.

Keep asking questions, we're happy to answer.

Aliza

leopardgeckonewbie

Welcome and congrats on the gecko. Here are my responses:
Bioactive: Check out these articles (the author posts on this forum: Indayana):

Heat: the heat on the floor (not the air) on the hot side should be in the low 90's as measured by a temperature (laser) gun or a digital thermometer with a probe you would put on the floor.
The best way to provide this heat is with a heat mat (it's a rectangular pad with an adhesive on one side) that is attached to the bottom of the cage on the outside --right up against the glass. You can also use heat cable (check out Zoomed heat cable) which you can tape onto the bottom of the enclosure (use Nashua tape, available at Home Depot or equivalent). The advantage to heat cable is that you can remove it and install it somewhere else if necessary.
In order to maintain the correct heat, you need to use a thermostat. The thermostat has a probe that you put into the cage. The heat source plus into the thermostat and then the thermostat plugs into the outlet. There are very expensive ones but Zilla, ESU or Alife make ones that are about $30. I have been using some of these for more than 15 years with no problems.

Shed: If you want to soak, you can put about 1/2" of warm water in the sink and put your gecko in for a minute or so. I just use a spray bottle. The trick is that you have to use your fingernails to get the shed off. I usually drape the hem of my shirt over the gecko's head so it won't bite and also because it thinks it's hiding and do one foot at a time.

Keep asking questions, we're happy to answer.

Aliza
thanks for the info!!! im always afraid to pull it off bc i dont want to hurt him!! i also got bit one time not a fun experience lol. he gave me awarning tho but i thought he was yawning. and they sell the thermostat heater for 30? i have a heat pad already

Onelifegecs

The thermostat keeps the heat mat from reaching crazy high temps and potentially fatally burning your gecko. It is needed along with the heat mat. A thermostat is needed with any kinda heat source. I currently am using two INK BIRD thermostats, one for my ceramic heat emitter and another for my heat mat. I check the temps with both a digital thermometer and a temp gun. These are different from a thermostat. These monitor the temps while thermostats regulate the temps.

leopardgeckonewbie

The thermostat keeps the heat mat from reaching crazy high temps and potentially fatally burning your gecko. It is needed along with the heat mat. A thermostat is needed with any kinda heat source. I currently am using two INK BIRD thermostats, one for my ceramic heat emitter and another for my heat mat. I check the temps with both a digital thermometer and a temp gun. These are different from a thermostat. These monitor the temps while thermostats regulate the temps.
yeah my thermostat broke and i jsut assumed everything was good.. he always goes in other hides and im making sure those r good temps now lol. whats a good substrate for leopard geckos tgat can also support plant growth?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My planted tanks (which I don't use for my leopard geckos) have coco fiber as a substrate, but you could also contact places that sell plants and substrate for planted tanks to see what's available. I have found even for my planted tanks that I'm getting much more mileage out of keeping plants in small containers in the enclosure rather than planting them directly into soil. I would recommend getting some nice small pots and planting succulents. Then when it's time to water them, you can take them out, soak them and put them back in.

Aliza

leopardgeckonewbie

My planted tanks (which I don't use for my leopard geckos) have coco fiber as a substrate, but you could also contact places that sell plants and substrate for planted tanks to see what's available. I have found even for my planted tanks that I'm getting much more mileage out of keeping plants in small containers in the enclosure rather than planting them directly into soil. I would recommend getting some nice small pots and planting succulents. Then when it's time to water them, you can take them out, soak them and put them back in.

Aliza
oh i thought u were just supposed to plant and water while in there! also why is it that no one on the forum is responding only staff

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In order for people to respond on the forum, they have to actually go here and check it out and they also have to feel they know what they're talking about (not that this stops some people). Some people got to be staff because they were really interested in this forum, so of course, many of them are still really interested in this forum. These days a lot of people who would have been on the forum are in facebook groups which have their plusses and minuses.

The problem with just planting and watering plants in leopard gecko enclosures is that the watering can raise the humidity, not to mention that the leopard geckos can knock over the plants. It has been done, but is not common.

Aliza

leopardgeckonewbie

In order for people to respond on the forum, they have to actually go here and check it out and they also have to feel they know what they're talking about (not that this stops some people). Some people got to be staff because they were really interested in this forum, so of course, many of them are still really interested in this forum. These days a lot of people who would have been on the forum are in facebook groups which have their plusses and minuses.

The problem with just planting and watering plants in leopard gecko enclosures is that the watering can raise the humidity, not to mention that the leopard geckos can knock over the plants. It has been done, but is not common.

Aliza
gotcha. what percentage of humidity should it be in his humid hide? also which hide should i do i have 3 one hot one middle one cold side

Onelifegecs

yeah my thermostat broke and i jsut assumed everything was good.. he always goes in other hides and im making sure those r good temps now lol. whats a good substrate for leopard geckos tgat can also support plant growth?
I would still considering getting a thermostat if hes moving to the other hides instead of being able to utilize his heat mat he is not gonna be able to digest his food properly. This can cause impaction issues and once again result in his death. Its important to have the temps 100% before adding loose substrate because this just increases the chance of impaction.

leopardgeckonewbie

ok so i got a thermostat for 10 bucks and something to control the temp inside the tank for 20 bucks and i just had a question... should the temp inside of the hide be 90 degrees or should the temp inside the hut be 90 degrees bc the hut traps temp so like the temp outside of the hut is different

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Since the gecko may spend a lot of time inside the hut, I'd put the temperature probe inside the hut so it doesn't get too hot for it in there. Others may differ, so listen to all our opinions and make your choice.

Aliza

leopardgeckonewbie

Since the gecko may spend a lot of time inside the hut, I'd put the temperature probe inside the hut so it doesn't get too hot for it in there. Others may differ, so listen to all our opinions and make your choice.

Aliza
yeah thats what i did just wanted to make sure the temp inside of the hut was supposed to be 90. hes in there all the time now im so happy abt it lol

leopardgeckonewbie

how do i lower humidity? i have him in a room with abt 60 gallons of water hahahaha so like his tank had high humidity like 65 percent. how do i lower that?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Others may have some suggestions, but I don't worry so much about ambient humidity and everyone does fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends