bioactive terrarium

leopardgeckonewbie

so i got a leopard gecko from my cousin and i have cared for it the best i can, but i want to make a bioactive terrarium for him as i think they r cool and they will lessen the work for me overall. rn i just have 3 fake hides all in different temp zones i feed mealworms and crickets and i just use a matt as substrate. oh its a 20 gallon long and i use a night light (its purple idk man) and i had a day light but it died. so yeah i dont have much experience with reptiles im more of a fish guy and i want to learn as much as i can and do the best for him!!! i have some cheap heat pad that i think works my thermometer broke and idek temp ranges for them so please help lol. ummmm i also heard of something auto turning it on or off but i wasnt sure what it was and i want it just to be safe. should the heat pad be on bottom? will it nreak the cord? help! OH!!! also my gecko has trouble shedding on his feet so i just put him in a 2 gallon bucket with shallow warm water thats 80 degrees he hated it so i took him out shortly but yeah. im willing to do work and spend a little bit on him if it will make him happy. sorry this is so long haha um yeah

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome and congrats on the gecko. Here are my responses:
Bioactive: Check out these articles (the author posts on this forum: Indayana):

Heat: the heat on the floor (not the air) on the hot side should be in the low 90's as measured by a temperature (laser) gun or a digital thermometer with a probe you would put on the floor.
The best way to provide this heat is with a heat mat (it's a rectangular pad with an adhesive on one side) that is attached to the bottom of the cage on the outside --right up against the glass. You can also use heat cable (check out Zoomed heat cable) which you can tape onto the bottom of the enclosure (use Nashua tape, available at Home Depot or equivalent). The advantage to heat cable is that you can remove it and install it somewhere else if necessary.
In order to maintain the correct heat, you need to use a thermostat. The thermostat has a probe that you put into the cage. The heat source plus into the thermostat and then the thermostat plugs into the outlet. There are very expensive ones but Zilla, ESU or Alife make ones that are about $30. I have been using some of these for more than 15 years with no problems.

Shed: If you want to soak, you can put about 1/2" of warm water in the sink and put your gecko in for a minute or so. I just use a spray bottle. The trick is that you have to use your fingernails to get the shed off. I usually drape the hem of my shirt over the gecko's head so it won't bite and also because it thinks it's hiding and do one foot at a time.

Keep asking questions, we're happy to answer.

Aliza

leopardgeckonewbie

Welcome and congrats on the gecko. Here are my responses:
Bioactive: Check out these articles (the author posts on this forum: Indayana):

Heat: the heat on the floor (not the air) on the hot side should be in the low 90's as measured by a temperature (laser) gun or a digital thermometer with a probe you would put on the floor.
The best way to provide this heat is with a heat mat (it's a rectangular pad with an adhesive on one side) that is attached to the bottom of the cage on the outside --right up against the glass. You can also use heat cable (check out Zoomed heat cable) which you can tape onto the bottom of the enclosure (use Nashua tape, available at Home Depot or equivalent). The advantage to heat cable is that you can remove it and install it somewhere else if necessary.
In order to maintain the correct heat, you need to use a thermostat. The thermostat has a probe that you put into the cage. The heat source plus into the thermostat and then the thermostat plugs into the outlet. There are very expensive ones but Zilla, ESU or Alife make ones that are about $30. I have been using some of these for more than 15 years with no problems.

Shed: If you want to soak, you can put about 1/2" of warm water in the sink and put your gecko in for a minute or so. I just use a spray bottle. The trick is that you have to use your fingernails to get the shed off. I usually drape the hem of my shirt over the gecko's head so it won't bite and also because it thinks it's hiding and do one foot at a time.

Keep asking questions, we're happy to answer.

Aliza
thanks for the info!!! im always afraid to pull it off bc i dont want to hurt him!! i also got bit one time not a fun experience lol. he gave me awarning tho but i thought he was yawning. and they sell the thermostat heater for 30? i have a heat pad already