Brand new to leo's.... tank concern

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Usually reptile carpet is somewhere around a 12 degree insulator and paper Bounty 1/2 sized paper towels are around a 2 degree insulator. You might be better off putting two layers of paper towel under the reptile carpet to bring your temps down.

After you get you temps set correctly, you could then tape the thermostat under the reptile carpet directly to the glass. You will have to figure the difference between the surface and under the carpet temp and minus the difference whenever you read your thermostat.

Example:
surface temp = 95
under reptile carpet = 107
difference = 12

If your thermostat reads 105, your actual temp would be 105-12= 93

Eradik

Once again, thanks for all your help.

It's kind of a chilly night, my window and door are open, tank floor is sitting at a nice 89 degrees. We'll see how it heats up tomorrow, since I might have to adjust. But it looks like I'm on track to get my leo on Sunday if everything goes smoothly.

I'm sure I'll have a billion questions about feeding, but thats for another day and another thread.

Thanks to each of you. You're simply awesome. :)

Eradik

Usually reptile carpet is somewhere around a 12 degree insulator and paper Bounty 1/2 sized paper towels are around a 2 degree insulator. You might be better off putting two layers of paper towel under the reptile carpet to bring your temps down.

After you get you temps set correctly, you could then tape the thermostat under the reptile carpet directly to the glass. You will have to figure the difference between the surface and under the carpet temp and minus the difference when ever you read your thermostat.

Example:
surface temp = 95
under reptile carpet = 107
difference = 12

If your thermostat reads 105, your actual temp would be 105-12= 93

Good info, thank you! There's just too many choices haha :)

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
As far as Leopard gecko temperatures go, you will get the best info from where they originally come from, the middle east. Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran areas. They are located in rocky areas in the desert, they are not found in the high lands. You can look up these areas and see their day and night time temps throughout the year. Remember they are nocturnal and do not come out during the day so they do not experience the highest heats reported.

Feeders....... you will get lots of different answers on this one also.

Here is a link to a care sheet I made: http://ohiogecko.com/index.php/care-sheets-mainmenu-35/leopard-gecko-care-sheet.html

As far as gut loading I need to update our care sheet to say sweet potatoes or yams instead of regular potatoes.

Good Luck.

Eradik

Thanks for the link to your care sheet. Nice to have a good one handy! :)

So, day two of working heater, I am happy to say I can report positive tempratures!

Warm Hide: 94-95 ish
Floor outside warm hide: 88-89
Cool Side: 70-74 ish

My humidity has calmed to a nice 35%, my room's warmed up a little bit, I just need to "cook" my driftwood and put it in. I'm going to be using a sour cream container for my moist hide.

I think I can get my leo tomorrow!

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! I so appreciate the help!

Visit our friends