• No, ew sick!!

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Sometimes...?

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JordanAng420

ZOONOSES 101 by Maia Goldworm

The #1 cause of disease transmission between reptiles and humans is poor hygiene, usually resulting in fecal (reptile) - oral (human) transmission. Humans that are particularly at risk for most zoonoses include people that are immunosuppressed or immunocompromised, kids 5 years and under, elderly people, and people with chronic disease that compromise their immune system. Also, people on immunosuppresive therapy (chemo) are at a risk. Herpetologists and hobbyists such as ourselves may be at a greater risk with exposure to more reptiles and species than the owner of a single pet. With that said, estimates of reptiles harboring Salmonella have been reported as high as 83% - 94 % depending on the method of testing. Salmonella spp. are gram-negative straight rod bacteria. There are more than 2400 serotypes in existance. Although the general public is aware of the relationship between turtles and Salmonella, they are not as well informed about the connection between other species of reptiles. In 1990, 2 cases of infant deaths were linked to pet iguana Salmonella. They came from different pet stores and different wholesale suppliers. In the first case, the 3 month old had diarrhea and fever, and was hospitalized for 20 days with diarrhea before he died from Salmonella. After cultures of the household water, area, and tank, the culture from the stool of the indoor iguana yielded Salmonella. In the SECOND case, a 12 day old newborn was affected. After culturing his stool at his Dr. office, the sample showed Salmonella. After 10 days, it resolved with antibiotics; however, cultures remained positive for 7 months, and the infant ended up passing away. The only indoor pet was an indoor iguana...stool culture from him was negative for Salmonella, but the cage surfaces had it. The infants mother said she washed her hands after feeding the iguana and cleaning it's cage. Direct contact with the reptile does not appear to be necessary for transmission. The Salmonella public health precautions should be extended to cover all reptiles, and your vet has the responsibility for educating the reptile owner. I'll see if I can find a good link or type up some good information regarding zoonoses in general for everyone. This topic is not taken as seriously as it should be.

Added: You are potentially exposing yourself to fecal - oral contamination by kissing your reptile. It's up to you if you want to be anthropomorphic enough to have to kiss your reptiles.

Last edited:

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right! Thank you Robin. Here is the thread I am referring to: http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=31706 In the thread you will find similar stories that should help you come to the realization that kissing a Leo is not the best idea.

That Reminds me when i kiss my cat's forehead...

He was very angry because he didnt get food today grumpy as you think. so i only teases him bit then kiss his forehead 2 times then he snapped my nose.
It bled so bad and it was only 1 inch or less scar on my nose. And i have scar on my nose. I only gave him smooches! He used to like that when my mom does that. expect me. :/
It didnt hurt much when he snapped. it was like Shock.
He will love me if i have a piece of turkey. :D

Yikes! That's gotta hurt! so much blood. This picture make me so :sick2:
Ugh. :( But I do kiss my leo's tail once and sometimes. he will just lick my nose. Heehe. If i put my finger on my leo's nose he will just stick tongue, so cute :]

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I wouldn't recommend it. There is a member here named Bonnie Lo (I think that's spelled correct) who has a thread here regarding a kiss that resulted in a very unfortunate accident. You'll have to forgive me, I can't recall her screen name here. It has been a while since I've seen her post. If you find that thread link it to this thread if you don't mind. I'll look for it in the meantime.

Actually, that bite wasn't resulted from a kiss. I had Hardee walked up to my shoulder, and somehow he picked up the scent of another male that had just been sitting on the same spot. Then he just snapped when I turned my head at him - he jumped some distance to bite me.

I still kiss them (Hardee included). I'm not worried about bites or salmonella; but that's just my choice. :)

greedo11

I kiss mine all the time.. but not with my lips, i touch my nose to theirs... and i don't do it when they are grumpy!!

Yeah I thought thats what was meant by kissing geckos anyway!, sometimes I will hold greedo up to my face and she will lick my nose alot, its very cute, but obviously I know geckos dont "kiss" its a way of tasting. Still love it though ;)

Adinar

Yeah I thought thats what was meant by kissing geckos anyway!, sometimes I will hold greedo up to my face and she will lick my nose alot, its very cute, but obviously I know geckos dont "kiss" its a way of tasting. Still love it though ;)

I do the geckos kisses all the time to my guys! Nose to nose. Except with Hera... I like my nose and think I shall keep it a bit longer.

Allee Toler

I've had salmonella. It's hell. No one wants it. I was giving a leo a shot, and I accidentally poked through the arm, making her bleed. I had to apply pressure to it for nearly an hour. When it was all finished, my hand had quite a bit of blood dried up under my nails, and all over my hands.

I scrubbed forever, trying to get the blood off of me for the fear of salmonella. Once I "thought" I got it all off and cleaned, I went about my life. Two weeks later I got extremely sick. Reminded me of mono almost, only with neon green puke. My whole upper body was SO stiff, and it only would get stiff after about 4pm, in the morning I felt 100% fine, around 4pm, I fell sick until 3am.

Many doctors visits later, my vet clipped my nails for a sample to test for salmonella traces (dead salmonella cells) and it came up positive. I must of eaten (I remember having wings a week after the shot, I'm a finger licker) something with my hands and contaminated myself.

All in all, Mid Feb-end of JULY i was sick with salmonella. To this day I still have salmonella traces. Doctor told me it takes almost a year for most people to get over, and I have an auto immune disease, who knows how long it'll take me to get over it.

If I puke, and it's green, I know it was caused by salmonella.

Lesson learned, I wash all my geckos before I handle them for extended periods of time (friends coming over, pictures, etc) and wash my hands with antibacterial gel alcohol first, dish soap, antibacterial soap, then hand sanitizer again, just to be sure I'm 100% clean. I do air kissies, now, or use my finger to give the "kiss".

I've seen geckos use their poop as a pillow.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Well, I guess I just have some very clean geckos; or I am salmonella immuned. I have been kissing and handling my geckos all these years, sometimes I don't even wash my hands after holding them. I have been biten badly; I have accidently poked my own finger while trying to give injections; and of course I used my bare fingers to clean and put ointment on Lemsip's amputated tail wound. And I have never ever gotton sick from them (touch wood).

I'm with Robin that "you are more likely to get salmonella from improperly handling raw meat or preparing food improperly than from a reptile."

Allee Toler

I'm with Robin that "you are more likely to get salmonella from improperly handling raw meat or preparing food improperly than from a reptile."

I have an auto immune disease which is what made me get it.

My doctor told me the human body will fight it on it's own, that only those who just got over being sick, or have some way a weakened immune system will get full blown salmonella.

rubym

I have been known to kiss mine on the backs of their little heads every once in awhile. There are so many funky diseases and viruses out there, I figure if Im going to get something, I am more likely to get it from walmart ( filthy carts) or even my Dr. office then from one of the geckos.

mascutt

I think HJ started a thread about love bites which has her picture in it. I don't care to kiss my reptiles not only because I could get something from them, but for anything I could give them. I've done the nose bump a few times, but that's about it. I can show them plenty of attention/affection without having to kiss them.

Same here... nose bump... that is my equivalent of reptile kissing :)

Tig

n00b
As ashamed as I am to admit it...yeah, I do sometimes... lol... but my Rainwater, Freddie, is like, my baby ;)

I was bitten on the finger while handfeeding mine a mealworms, and it HURT. It was like a vice grip. It barely broke the skin, but let's just say, it's no wonder that mealworms crunch when Leos pick them up. It would hurt like heck to get nailed in the mouth by one, but hey, if you're gonna do it, pick 'em up and give them a tiny kiss, don't French them, lol

Visit our friends