chameleon tank

Saboo

i assume it's fine because it's not that much bigger than what something i read said but basically i read that baby crested geckos need a cage around 10 - 15 gallons, however my cage i have is way bigger than that. However it's not much bigger than a tank for an adult, the thing i read said there ideal enclosure should be around 12 x 12 x 18 and i have a 16 (L) x 16 (W) x 24 (H) tank. So i'm just wondering if this tank would work out because i really dont wanna spend more money on a tank.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think actually that the 16x16x24 will be much better for an adult crestie than the 12x12x18 which I have consistently found not to be big enough for an adult. When I got my first crestie, he was only about a month old and I put him right into his 12x12x18. He did fine and is now almost 15 years old (and he's in an 18x18x24). Some young cresties do need a smaller temporary enclosure. If you get a tiny one and it seems lost in the bigger enclosure, you can always get a 6qt shoebox sized tub, put a small hide, a piece of cork bark or branch for it to climb on and a small water and CGD bowl. This is how I kept my hatchling cresties the year that I bred them.
I notice that your thread title says "chameleon tank". If you're planning to use a screen cage for the crestie, and you don't have high humidity, it could be a problem to keep the humidity up in a screen cage. There may be solutions, but you'll have to think it through.

Aliza

Saboo

That's perfect, and as for the humidity i want to ad a humidifier and i'm going to try and get more live plants to try and trap the humidity more, does that seem fine? I'm going to try and keep the humidity pretty high without the crestie in the cage because it would suck if it died just because the humidity was under 50, or at least it would be stressed. Unfortunately with my first chameleon i did not focus on raising the humidity because there were so many other problems, The basking spot was to hot (i'm going to lower it for the gecko... will the gecko even bask in general?) And it would not eat so i just focused on getting it to eat... But unfortunately with my first chameleon he died at one because i did not focus on things like where everything in his cage was placed and i did not focus on humidity. Back then i was in experienced but im feeling good about this guy.

Onelifegecs

Idk where to find the care guides on this forum or if there are any but this care guide is fairly good. You should look on YouTube and read several more articles to get the best understanding

Onelifegecs

The uvb is a personal choice between keepers it doesn’t give off any heat at all. UVB is a way to ensure your cresting doesn’t develop mbd but through a Proper diet it isn’t needed. If your house isn’t crazy cold you may not even need a heat mat.

Saboo

The uvb is a personal choice between keepers it doesn’t give off any heat at all. UVB is a way to ensure your cresting doesn’t develop mbd but through a Proper diet it isn’t needed. If your house isn’t crazy cold you may not even need a heat mat.
oh ok perfect if i don't need a heat mat that's good, my house is pretty hot and the temp stays around 76 degrees so i don't know if that's to cold or not

Saboo

i think i might get tiles to put on the back wall because i'm worried of the gecko getting its claw stuck, i also think that it could just climb better in general.

Onelifegecs

I would really recommend looking on craigslist or the alternative for your country for a different tank the chameleon tank is going to make the care of this animal rather difficult and you may end up spending more then it would have cost to just buy a new tank. Look into arboreal tank converters and you can then turn a cheaper 20 gal fish tank into an Arboreal tank. Ther is also the option of buying a 20 gal with a screen lid that clips in a fashion that it wont fall of it is turned to be an arboreal tank. Ive also seen bungee cords used to hold on screen lids to regular 20 gal tanks.

/

Saboo

I would really recommend looking on craigslist or the alternative for your country for a different tank the chameleon tank is going to make the care of this animal rather difficult and you may end up spending more then it would have cost to just buy a new tank. Look into arboreal tank converters and you can then turn a cheaper 20 gal fish tank into an Arboreal tank. Ther is also the option of buying a 20 gal with a screen lid that clips in a fashion that it wont fall of it is turned to be an arboreal tank. Ive also seen bungee cords used to hold on screen lids to regular 20 gal tanks.

/

ahhhhh that makes sense

Saboo

Wait, so is this tank going to be an alternative or should that just be his tank in general?

Onelifegecs

I think it is in your best interest to get a tank that holds the humidity better, since this is your first crestie and it will put more stress on you as you worry if everything is okay for this animal. I think it is possible to do the screen tank but it is going to be very difficult. If you are tight on money the bin cage can work perfectly well for the permanent home of this animal or at least until you can afford something else. Reptiles and amphibians (except for maybe pac man frogs lol) are not generally all that cheap which is unfortunate because they are so cool to own.

Saboo

if that 20 gallon tank to arboreal 20 gallon tank thing is cheap then that should be fine, i just dont want to buy something thats like 150$

Saboo

no, the only 20 gallon tank in this house is my sisters and that has crabs in it so unfortunately i cant use it.

Visit our friends