Changes to the GF Classifieds Rules

KelliH

New ads MUST be limited to three ads per day (per each section of the classifieds). In this case, a day is referring to a 24 hour period, therefore only 3 ads per category can be posted per 24 hour period.

Replies to ads can now only be made by the person that posts the ad. All correspondence between potential buyer and seller must be done through email or private message.

Thread starters can "bump" their ads no more than two times total, then they must allow the ads to fall. Any post made after the initial post of the ad is considered a bump.

Please keep in mind that a "bump" to an ad DOES count towards your 3 ad per day limit, therefore you may not have a total of more than 3 new ads or bumps of old ads in a 24 hour period. For example, if you bump 2 ads you will only be able to post one new ad in a 24 hour period (per category).

To summarize, you are allowed 3 new ads or ad bumps a day per category, and any ad can only be bumped/posted on twice, after that it must be allowed to fall.

Any member wanting to post for sale or auction animals or any items or services MUST get written permission (via pm or email) from the administrator before posting such ads. This includes classified ads with items for sale or auction to benefit GeckoForums.net.

Violations will be deleted without warning, no exceptions.

Last edited:

Ccrashca069

If the poster of the ad makes an update like #3 is sold or on hold count as your 3 per day?
If it does I think that is wrong. What if the person gets a bunch of emails or pms for the same gecko? Its good business practice to keep it updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halley

Well just to clear up another thing. I think that this is right just want to make sure, but if your gecko(s) don’t sell within the time of the original add, and two bumps, then you are just out of luck?

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Halley said:
Well just to clear up another thing. I think that this is right just want to make sure, but if your gecko(s) don’t sell within the time of the original add, and two bumps, then you are just out of luck?

Nope. You should be able to post a new add when your two replys are used up.

Ccrashca069 said:
I understand when people just bump the ad. I am talking about legit post so you don't keep getting emails or pms about the same thing.

John, the way I see it you'll just have to keep the number of animals per post down. I think then that you should be OK, and shouldn't over-run your two reply limit.

Just an idea.. It would help with the sold animal bumps.

Would it be possible to allow us to edit our classifieds ads? There are a couple of other forums that I frequent that allow you to do that. I don't do bumps for sold animals there.. I just edit the ad to show what is sold.. Or what the new price is.. And I just use bumps for.. well bumps.

KelliH

Ccrashca069 said:
If the poster of the ad makes an update like #3 is sold or on hold count as your 3 per day?
If it does I think that is wrong. What if the person gets a bunch of emails or pms for the same gecko? Its good business practice to keep it updated.

Any new post to an ad is considered a bump.

KelliH

Halley said:

You can repost the ad. Go look at kingsnake.com, people repost the same ads day after day after day. :D

KelliH

David Loftin said:
Just an idea.. It would help with the sold animal bumps.

Would it be possible to allow us to edit our classifieds ads? There are a couple of other forums that I frequent that allow you to do that. I don't do bumps for sold animals there.. I just edit the ad to show what is sold.. Or what the new price is.. And I just use bumps for.. well bumps.

I considered that initially, however the problem with that is that allowing editing of posts made in the classifieds section would also enable editing in all the other sections. I prefer not to do this.

KelliH

Ccrashca069 said:
I like that ideal David. That would be cool. I seen some mods do simialar things to their own ads like delete the thread because sale is over.

Deleting a thread and editing are not really the same, however... if anyone needs an ad deleted they are welcome to pm me and I would be happy to delete it for them. Delete, not edit. :D

KelliH said:
I considered that initially, however the problem with that is that allowing editing of posts made in the classifieds section would also enable editing in all the other sections. I prefer not to do this.

That sucks that you can't just choose a specific section to have editing capabilities on. LAME!

Thanks for keeping us informed on this stuff though.

:)

KelliH

David Loftin said:
That sucks that you can't just choose a specific section to have editing capabilities on. LAME!

Thanks for keeping us informed on this stuff though.

:)

I know! You can choose a specific usergroup to have editing capabilities, and you can also specify a time limit for editing, but you cannot be specific regarding sections. Grrr.

Halley

I know! You can choose a specific usergroup to have editing capabilities, and you can also specify a time limit for editing, but you cannot be specific regarding sections. Grrr.

I’m going to go ahead, and second that Grr. As it would make thing easier to do if that could be done.

KelliH

Maybe the newest Vbulletin version has implemented this, I'll check it out. Only problem is that I am super paranoid about upgrading... I've never done it before and I get chills thinking about the site being down or even worse... losing any part of it forever. :wreck:

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
A good way to put your things that are for sale as SOLD is if you make you add into a picture and host it on photobucket and just post the picture on here and when its sold or need something changed just photobucket the picture, delete the old picture from photobukcet and upload the new picture with the same name as the old one.

Halley

A good way to put your things that are for sale as SOLD is if you make you add into a picture and host it on photobucket and just post the picture on here and when its sold or need something changed just photobucket the picture, delete the old picture from photobukcet and upload the new picture with the same name as the old one.

Can you edit classified adds for that long?

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
Halley said:
Can you edit classified adds for that long?

I don't know what your question is but go check out one of my adds on the classified and I just used Paint.net and made my add into a picture and when I need to put SOLD I just change the picture with paint.net and then just delete the old photo off of photobucket and upload the new one with the new picture which contains the latest info on the add and it will appear on your add because it has the same name as the old one.

Visit our friends