Coconut Fiber? (Eco Earth)

H

Honseng

I know this question has been asked on this forum before, but it didn't really give me the answer I was looking for. The question is :

Would it be safe to house Leopard Geckos on dry Eco Earth/Coconut Fiber?

I'm probably going to compact it so it'll be pretty pressed down. (If it's safe)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the most important thing to consider is whether it will significantly add to the humidity and how dusty it will get if dry. I house my AFT's on it with no problem, though 2 of my 3 hides have ceramic bottoms so they're not on top of the coco fiber all the time. They eat crickets and don't seem to have ingested the stuff when hunting.

Aliza

F

fikken

i have had 0 problems with my geckos in 3 separate tanks on the stuff. so long as it is dry i do not see nor know of any issue with the eco earth. mine havent had the urge to eat it and even so i think its quite passable

H

Honseng

i have had 0 problems with my geckos in 3 separate tanks on the stuff. so long as it is dry i do not see nor know of any issue with the eco earth. mine havent had the urge to eat it and even so i think its quite passable

So, do you house them on completely dry coconut fiber? Is it compacted tight? Or is it somewhat loose?

Tommy13b

Id recoment paper towls or newspaper, Loose substrate can be ingested and gets pretty dirty, plus the cost. While newspaper is Recycled, and clean as long as you change it once a week.

Tommy13b

As long as its not freshly printed then its fine, i have a pile going and i allow them to dry for ATLEAST a week.

F

fikken

So, do you house them on completely dry coconut fiber? Is it compacted tight? Or is it somewhat loose?

its dry loose fiber of a fine ground. they seem to love nestling into it and running along it so i have seen nothing but positive for this substrate

Visit our friends