Compatibility and Housing for Breeding Crested Geckos: Can a Male and Female Share the Same Enclosure?

sicktom

I have a male tricolor 100% pinstripe crested gecko, and I would like to get a red lillywhite female to breed with him. The enclosure is quite large, measuring 60x60x45 cm (height, width, depth). The male is now two years old, and I would prefer the female to be an adult, but if I can’t find one, a baby would also be fine as I’m not in a hurry to breed them. My question is: can they stay in the same enclosure?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
welcome to the forum!

I would have two separate enclosures and only combine them when breeding. This way you can control the breeding easier. You will also have less stressed and healthier specimens this way. you can always put them right next to each other to help them get in the mood

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are divided opinions about this. Some people only put their males and females together for a few days during breeding season to get "the deed" done. Others keep them together throughout the breeding season. I bred cresties for one season and I did keep mine together the whole time. There is a chance that one or both will lose their tail if breeding gets too active. I have kept gargoyle gecko pairs and trios together full-time, though when I had a trio I had to remove one for brief periods on occasion. I have found with all the geckos that I kept together during breeding season that after a period of active breeding, the males seem to lose interest. I haven't had the experience where the males are ready to go 24/7.
That said, if you get a juvenile female, keep her separate until she is old enough and big enough to breed. Always have a backup enclosure available in case things don't work out. It's probably safest to keep them separate, but very doable to keep them together as well, in my opinion.

Aliza

Visit our friends