Completely confused

Jace

That's what I am. Okay
so what supplements do I put in a bowl in the terrarium?
do I mix anything?
What sups do I mix with food?
Do I get d3 or without?
HELP!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Different people are doing different things. There seem to be 2 major approaches, both of which I have done:

a. keep a bowl of calcium without D3 in the cage. Dust feeders alternately with calcium with D3 and vitamins. Most commonly used, but not exclusively, is rep-cal calcium and herptivite

b. don't keep any calcium in the enclsoure. Dust at each feeding with Repashy calcium plus.

I switched to method B during the winter. I find my geckos were equally healthy with either method, but my breeding season has been significantly better with the Repashy. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's been better because of the Repashy, but I can't say either way.

I think the crux of the differences in practice is whether the geckos can OD on D3 or and whether they can self regulate their intake appropriately. I have read strong opinions either way here.

Aliza

Jace

Could I keep the repashy in a bowl in the tank?
And just dust the food every other day?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Could I keep the repashy in a bowl in the tank?
And just dust the food every other day?

I don't see why not. If you want to be sure, you could send a PM to Julie Bergman of Gecko Ranch (that's her user name too, she's a member here).

Aliza

Dead Dreamer

I use the Repashy calcium plus to dust feeders, and also keep a little in a dish. Is this not good to keep it in a dish for her? She seems to be doing fine so far.

ILoveGeckos14

My opinion is that you should keep a dish in there as well as dust the feeders. We have two geckos right now, one that is small for her age and one with MDB because the owner only dusted the food items and did not offer a dish in the enclosure. I have seen dusted crickets go and rinse off in the water dish before so I question how much supplementation they get from dusting if the feeder isn't eaten right away.

erik

Gecko Newbie
I use ExoTerra Calcium liquid supplement and Electrolyte&Vitamin D3 liquid supplement in the water.

Next to that I now and then dust my feeders with Repco Vita Total D3/calcium powder.

MiamiLeos

i dust with a 1:1 mix of herptivite and calcium +d3 about every other feeding, sometimes every two. i also keep a small dish with a 1:1 mixture of it in the terrarium 24/7.

Visit our friends