converting ThermoElectric Cooler into a incubator?

K

kirk98

Can it be done? This is a plug in cooler, I have one that plugs in to get cold and also hot. :main_huh:

stewy84

If you can hook up a thermostat and get steady temps it should work provided the heater on the cooler can take it. Is it a wine cooler or what, because Ive heard some of them don't last long. Just what I heard, I haven't got any experience with any cooler/heaters. Hope this helps.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Some of the big name, expensive incubators are re-labeled thermoelectric coolers, chances are yours can be adapted.

K

kirk98

It's a hot/cold electric cooler that says that it Heats to 110-140 degrees above surrounding temperature. Never used the heat part of it though just the cooler part. So I should poss be able to just put a thermostat on there with a thermometer? :main_huh:

KelliH

My suggestion would be to try it out first, and make sure temps hold steady. You will need a good thermostat to start. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I used this type once on an incubator I made out of an Igloo cooler that I wired with flexwatt heat tape-
Alife Thermostat.

If your budget allows, you might want to invest in a proportional thermostat; I use these on all of my incubators and they are excellent-
Helix Thermostat.

In a nutshell, the thermostat plugs into the wall outlet, and your incubator will plug into an outlet on the thermostat. The thermostat has a probe which is what you will put inside your incubator. Then you will set or program the thermostat to whatever temperature you want to incubate your eggs at.

I would advise letting it run for several days just to be safe prior to putting any eggs in it. A digital thermometer is good, especially one that records highs and lows like this one-
digital thermometer

but I also recommend you purchase a temperature gun similar to this-
temp gun.

Let us know if you have any more questions! :)

Visit our friends